Help with my 5 week old duck

Hball

Chirping
Jun 1, 2022
Kentucky
Hello. I have five 5-6 week old ducks and have been having issues with this particular one below. Starting with symptoms of niacin deficiency and not being able to walk, I started her on b complex orally 1mil starting at 4 weeks old. The next she was a lot better and walking but pigeon toed. Her right leg is looking a lot better but this morning I went to the coop to let them out and she’s limping bad with her left foot. I’ve been giving her the 1ml of b complex everyday plus bob mills nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon per cup of feed. I do not see any open wounds and she is still eating and swimming and her normal activities. She’s just having a harder time walking and getting into the kiddie swimming pool in their area. Also I posted a video of her in the tote where she defecated several times and it’s our liquid. Just within a 20 min period she went 4 times. Someone please help. I have videos but apparently can’t attach those to this thread. Also
I gave her a warm epsom salt soak for her legs and feet.

Attachments

• 6B350862-E35B-4B99-97AA-E1C5E5D36C08.jpeg
    6B350862-E35B-4B99-97AA-E1C5E5D36C08.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 8F953375-ED2B-4A2C-A80B-344AE4F833CB.jpeg
    8F953375-ED2B-4A2C-A80B-344AE4F833CB.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 3
That does look like it is related to the naicin deficiency. Their legs can bow when they a naicin deficiency. Not sure if you have seen this or not, but this goes over every thing about naicin deficiency.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Definitely keep up with the vitamin b complex. It sounds like it is helping out. It has only been a week so it can take time for them to completely come around.

Something else you can do is swim therapy. It is a great way to strengthen their legs under less stress. You need to put the duck in deep water where they can't touch the ground. So it will need to use it's legs to swim around. Sometimes you need to encourage them to move a bit and not just float.

That does look like it is related to the naicin deficiency. Their legs can bow when they a naicin deficiency. Not sure if you have seen this or not, but this goes over every thing about naicin deficiency.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Definitely keep up with the vitamin b complex. It sounds like it is helping out. It has only been a week so it can take time for them to completely come around.

Something else you can do is swim therapy. It is a great way to strengthen their legs under less stress. You need to put the duck in deep water where they can't touch the ground. So it will need to use it's legs to swim around. Sometimes you need to encourage them to move a bit and not just float.
Thank you so much. I just got discourage because I’ve been trying to do everything I can to help her and she seemed like she was getting better and then started limping today :( as far as her poop being really watery, is that normal?

Thank you so much. I just got discourage because I’ve been trying to do everything I can to help her and she seemed like she was getting better and then started limping today :( as far as her poop being really watery, is that normal?
Have you looked at the bottom of the foot? It is also possible that you have bumblefoot from her ability to move.

Watery poop is not uncommon, especially if she has been drinking a lot of water. Especially during the summer and with the hot weather, they will drink a lot more water. If she is eating and drinking normally, it is more likely normal.

Have you looked at the bottom of the foot? It is also possible that you have bumblefoot from her ability to move.

Watery poop is not uncommon, especially if she has been drinking a lot of water. Especially during the summer and with the hot weather, they will drink a lot more water. If she is eating and drinking normally, it is more likely normal.
Yes I looked all over her feet and there was no sign of bumble foot or even any lesions. I did an epsom salt water soak just to get her feet and legs really cleaned and didn’t see any wounds. There really isn’t any swelling when compared to the other leg. Just the turned in foot. I had been giving her meds orally and my husband is on second shift and hasn’t been home to help me the last two days so I had been putting the med on watermelon pieces and she loves them. Maybe she’s not getting the full dose?

Back
Top Bottom