Hen attacked; injured leg

klb25

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
Middle Tennessee
My late neighbor's family is in town, handling issues related to her recent passing. Unfortunately they brought their dogs and have not secured them. One of the dogs ran down to my land today. I caught him running off with my hen in its mouth. The dog dropped her when I started yelling.

I thought for a half hour that she was dead but she wasn't. The dog tore out a lot of tail feathers, but I'm just concerned with one foot being turned under. I cleaned and treated her skin wounds but I'm not sure how to handle the foot. There are visible leg wounds other than a superficial cut. Any advice would be appreciated!

She is 2 years old, and has had a little of the food and water offered. She is secured in a dog kennel to keep her in calm while the shock wears off.

1000003527.jpg
1000003526.jpg

That's good! Clean her wounds and cover with antibiotic ointment twice a day until she's healed. It will be messy on her feathers but them get cleaned up after she's better and gets a couple of good dust baths

That's good! Clean her wounds and cover with antibiotic ointment twice a day until she's healed. It will be messy on her feathers but them get cleaned up after she's better and gets a couple of good dust baths
I'm keeping her cleaned up today. I splinted her foot this morning. She's eating and drinking a little, and laid an egg earlier. Fingers crossed that's a good sign!

Back
Top Bottom