Hen can't stand up

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
For the past few days, our hen has just been lying there, and can't get herself up. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, looks alert, and can scoot herself around enough to reach her food and water if they are kept near her, but she can't get up. I suspect it might be rickets, since she has been inside for a while due to non-chicken-friendly local ordinances, but I'm not sure. We've started putting her outside each day, law or no law, but I can't leave her out all day anyway because it's hot and she starts panting really hard after a while. Dh has called around and apparently there are no vets around here who treat chickens, so we're on our own. I've started giving her a vitamin supplement. Is there anything else we can do for her? She's our 4yo's special pet hen.

Vitamins, and sunshine. Oh, and greens. Make sure she gets lots of each. I do hope she pulls through. Poor little one. I take it you have her " illegally"?? LOL Sounds like you are doing just what she needs...sun , sun, sun!!

Yep, we're outlaws! Not for long, though. We're moving in a couple of weeks, so if she can make it that long she can be outside for good-with some friends if they can get along.

Hi sorry to here about your hen. Is she laying eggs still? Maybe she is egg bound, just guessing.
I hope she gets better.
smile.png

Miriam

She's been laying occasionally. The last egg she layed was right before this began-like maybe an hour. I've been making her food, and only recently started thinking I should be adding Nutri-balancer. I can't believe I could be so stupid as to not think of it before!

Dh talked to some people about it today, includinga veterinary student. Looks like a stroke.
sad.png
\\
ETA: Thanks for that link. Maybe it is either Mareks or Lymphoid Leucosis. In any case its doesn't look good. I'm glad we've been keeping her far away from the chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom