Hen with chronic sneeze-no discharge.

CalicoChickenCo

Hatching
Jul 26, 2022
I have a 9 month old Steele Egger hen who has been chronically sneezing for at least 6 weeks now. She's had off and on again raspy breathing but no discharge of any kind so I kind of equated it to maybe dust from being cooped up more as I'm in Northern WI. She stopped laying about 3 weeks ago as well and prefers to stay inside the coop and next to another hen. Today she started coughing and is very weak. I isolated her and none of my 10 others have any similar symptoms. I have one Orpington who has not been laying but that is the only other thing in my flock. I don't have a poultry vet in my area. I'm giving her some probiotics and electrolytes in her water. Does anyone have any insight? I feel so bad as she's such a sweet little thing.

This is a link to your state lab.
If you contact them they can help you collect a sample to mail to them to test for MG. The test is usually cheap.

https://www.wvdl.wisc.edu/

When was the last/most recent time you brought a new to you bird home?

Does this bird's smell bad?
What exactly do you feed your birds?

This is a link to your state lab.
If you contact them they can help you collect a sample to mail to them to test for MG. The test is usually cheap.

https://www.wvdl.wisc.edu/

When was the last/most recent time you brought a new to you bird home?

Does this bird's smell bad?
What exactly do you feed your birds?
Thanks for the quick reply! I haven’t brought home any new birds. They’re all from the same hatch. She doesn’t have any smell and she’s eating and drinking just fine. Her tail is a bit drooped but she’s chipper, bright eyed, and alert now. Still just the sneeze that sometimes sounds like a cough. She’s on Nutrena All Flock right now.

Thanks for the quick reply! I haven’t brought home any new birds. They’re all from the same hatch. She doesn’t have any smell and she’s eating and drinking just fine. Her tail is a bit drooped but she’s chipper, bright eyed, and alert now. Still just the sneeze that sometimes sounds like a cough. She’s on Nutrena All Flock right now.
Can you take a few pictures of your coop?
Do you feed any treats?

Can you take a few pictures of your coop?
Do you feed any treats?
Sorry for the late reply! Wanted to update....I switched bedding from chopped straw to pine shavings and her sneezing has significantly gone down. So maybe she's just a very sensitive weird allergy hen? She still not laying but aside from an occasional sneeze she's doing well.

Back
Top Bottom