Here we go!

JerEazy

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
After about a year of debating and research we finally have our chicks. This kicked the coop and chicken run build into high gear. We had an old shed we repurposed. Left the front on, tore down the sides, wired it in. Gated and fenced a decent size run with a dirt area and some grassed spot. And really a pretty large chicken condo for the 5 birds we’re allowed to have here in sunny Florida. The chicks have been enjoying their time in a big ole rubber made tote for the past week+ while construction has continued. Still lots to do.

YouTube and lurking here has been incredibly helpful. And we’ve been able to do most of this with old scrap wood and parts from other projects. Looking forward to the journey!

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    884.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    752.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    938.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 7
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Consider replacing the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth. Chicken wire is not at all predator proof.
That is something we picked up after the wire was up. We still have some wire left and I’m considering an overlap to close up the gaps a bit and give an extra layer as opposed to a tear down. Do you think that would suffice?

Worth noting the yard is fully fenced. We don’t have a lot of “predators” in the area. Haven’t even seen a raccoon in the 2 years being here.

Guess that settles that.

Chicken wire for keeping chickens in; not keeping predators out!
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We use chicken wire around our garden to keep the chickens out of it but I'm not sure how rabbits even can manage to get into there!

We've heard so many sad stories of folks who never thought there was an issue, until there was. We were one of them many years ago. It's a hard lesson to learn at the cost of a chicken or chickens.

You've built such a beautiful coop and setup though! I love it!!

As you probably saw, we have a section on coops here, and repurposing sheds is something folks come here with questions about. I hope you'll consider making this into a coop article sometime!

Back
Top Bottom