Hey All

It has been months since I have been on here, and I had countless messages asking where I was. Figured I post here because it was most fitting.

We went on a 2 day trip and had a relative come over and tend to the chickens, quails, goats, pigs, etc for the time we were gone. We avoid trips for this reason - it is a lot to ask someone to take care of.

To make a really devastating, long story short, this person neglected to come over on the evening of the second night to close the animals and the front gate to the property. This allowed what looked to be 6 to 8 coyotes (cameras) into the property who killed almost everything but the pigs and some adult goats. There were a few chickens who safely hid in the trees, and we had our polishes in a different area, but we had over 80 chickens killed and their bodies left scattered across the property - mostly uneaten.

Anyway, it was emotionally the worst period of time I have experienced in a long time. We have rebuilt quite a bit to this point, but still missing a lot of animals that we loved dearly.

But, in excited to be back here with my BYC friends and talking some chicks with spring in full bloom. I hope you are all doing well.
I've never shipped eggs before but I'd be happy to send you fertile eggs if it helps! If its any consolation I have no one I could entrust my animals with either should I go somewhere for a couple days

Yes - coming up on the scene of the crime was unbelievable - then the following 4 to 5 days looking for animals was worse. We actually found an un-injured 4 week old doeling outside the property 3 days after the incident. She was able to survive somehow (her mother was killed 😭) in the wilderness without milk. That was a bright spot in the whole deal.
The fact that a family members negligence caused this devastating loss is a tragedy! Anyone else would have buried the dead and gave up but not you! You searched until you'd gathered every survivor and even saved the 4 week old!

My jaw is still wide open; I’m very sorry to hear this occurred.
But I’m glad you’ve been able to stay strong with progress on rebuilding. :hugs

The fact that a family members negligence caused this devastating loss is a tragedy! Anyone else would have buried the dead and gave up but not you! You searched until you'd gathered every survivor and even saved the 4 week old!
It is an unfortunate situation, yes. It was my father in law and he obviously felt terrible beyond belief, and you can only reach a certain level of disappointment.

Over the few days we collected around 110 eggs from various places and hiding spots, bought enough incubators and started hatching. We were able to hatch 64 chicks - 15 cockerels and 49 hens who now make up our flock, with 9 of the survivors (not including the Polish coop).

So they all live on.

Congratulations on your successfully hatches! I'm in the process of making a homemade incubator in case a bear attacks my coop in the middle of the night and kills my chickens. It's already happened to several of my neighbors so I'm hoping I'll have it finished soon.

Back
Top Bottom