How do I discourage my rooster from mounting the hens in my presence??

wings

Songster
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
Massachusetts
My 4 hens are six-months-old, and my rooster is the same age. He is small, so he has trouble mounting the hens (which is fine with me. We don't need fertile eggs). I have read that you shouldn't let the rooster mount (or try to mount) the hens when you are around. Why? Is it a sign of disrespect or something??
Also, in the winter time they are completely fenced in. They have a run, but it's not tall enough for me to stand in, so I have to crouch down if I want to get in there. Unfortunately, this is our rooster's favorite place for mounting the hens. My question is: It is really important that I make sure he isn't mounting them when I am there? If so, how do I discourage him from mounting them, when I can't easily get to him?

lol.png
Roosters will do what roosters do whenever they feel like doing it. The only way to stop it would be to put him in a pen with no hens.

Hello there, I am really not a fan of roosters, why?? I don't know they just annoying me, my third Rooster in 10 months
lol.png
is scared to death from me and he tries to mount the hens when I am outside but only if he does not see me because he knows he going to get in trouble if I see him.

I started give him less time with the hens because I don't want him to damage thier feathers.

I really want one or two of my hens to go broody and hatch eggs that's the only reason the rooster still here,but I am thinking of eating him as soon as the weather permit for me to butcher him outside, and buy fertelied eggs if the hens go broody.

Omran

If you're having problems with a roo that thinks he's the alpha when you should be, one way to change his thinking is to stop him from mating in your presence. The alpha typically doesn't let his subordinates mate in his presence.
As Opa says, use your boot or shoe or whatever you happen to be wearing on your feet at the time. Shove him off, using your foot or your hand.
If you can't get in the pen with them, it's obviously not going to work for you. There are other ways of getting your point across.

I'm the opposite. I like to see my roo "earning his keep". His mounting the hens has no bearing on our relationship. I am his queen. I'm the keeper of tupperware and all good things within.

Seriously, I feel unless your roo is mounting your cat or dissing you personally (picking a fight with YOU), don't mess with nature.

I know some people will disagree with me.

Colby in Ky

52 GLW, 10 EEs, soon to have 25 BLRW
big_smile.png

If you want fertile eggs, leave him alone.

Sorry, but would you want to be bothered?

I don't think something that comes naturally should be discouraged, what God has put together let not a person boot asunder!

I don't know that you can train a roo to be discreet.

Back
Top Bottom