How long will my goose sit on eggs if they don’t hatch?

Tania97

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
I have a goose sitting on 8 of her own eggs, I don’t know how long she’s been sitting on them but I think they’re overdue. I candled them, sniffed them, and did a float test. I removed 3 eggs I know for sure are dead and put the others back.

Will a goose continue to sit on her eggs if they are dead? Does she know that they’re dead?

I have a goose sitting on 8 of her own eggs, I don’t know how long she’s been sitting on them but I think they’re overdue. I candled them, sniffed them, and did a float test. I removed 3 eggs I know for sure are dead and put the others back.

Will a goose continue to sit on her eggs if they are dead? Does she know that they’re dead?
wow idk but will follow to see what @Goosebaby and/or @JRies has to say, since I also have a dog in this race ( my goose is on day 21 sitting on four eggs)

She will know before you do. When geese go broody they usually have not stopped laying. They usually add a few. Geese hatching there own eggs takes longer than us incubating. If there all dead she will abandon the nest if not she will move the nest with her good eggs just give her room to do that. If there all bad she will give up. Float testing is not a good thing to do. After all if they loose the right amount of weight there going to float. Let her run her nest she will let you know. Depending on your breed it can take 28-35 days. Depending on her diligence even more. For instance she may be taking longer breaks from the nest so longer cool downs therefore more time to hatch.

I just hatched a group of geese that were in a incubator that quite in the middle of the night. Recovered the eggs got them in a new incubator in the morning (they were cold) yet still hatched today. 80% recovery on the embryos.

There are always time in a hatch (incubator) I think I lost the embryo but have learned. Candling can only give you a thought that there good. Ones I thought were not were. Just being not active at the moment.

Still remember years ago when I found a duck nest and candled them saw black blobs in the eggs thought they were dead till I heard the chirp from the trash.

wow idk but will follow to see what @Goosebaby and/or @JRies has to say, since I also have a dog in this race ( my goose is on day 21 sitting on four eggs)
How is she doing! I think its easier on them then us there on a mission. were like the expecting dad. Watch all the crazy but not a dang thing we can do about it just go "tell me what you want I will get it for you"

How is she doing! I think its easier on them then us there on a mission. were like the expecting dad. Watch all the crazy but not a dang thing we can do about it just go "tell me what you want I will get it for you"
yes yes I have been so worried about her. She comes out 2x a day for 8 min and 23 seconds each time. she runs around takes a few bites of grass and feed and a quick swim, she walks all around as if she is making sure everything is still there and if it will all be still there for her babies when she brigs them out. I think she dreams about all the days she spent outside enjoying life before she was like zombie on a nest.
One time she was out 8 minutes and suddenly ran and flew over 2 fences to get back to her nest. She didnt have time to walk through the open gates lol

yes yes I have been so worried about her. She comes out 2x a day for 8 min and 23 seconds each time. she runs around takes a few bites of grass and feed and a quick swim, she walks all around as if she is making sure everything is still there and if it will all be still there for her babies when she brigs them out. I think she dreams about all the days she spent outside enjoying life before she was like zombie on a nest.
One time she was out 8 minutes and suddenly ran and flew over 2 fences to get back to her nest. She didnt have time to walk through the open gates lol
She is dreaming about babys. Your doing great. Se is being a good mama and you have been a great papa.

She will know before you do. When geese go broody they usually have not stopped laying. They usually add a few. Geese hatching there own eggs takes longer than us incubating. If there all dead she will abandon the nest if not she will move the nest with her good eggs just give her room to do that. If there all bad she will give up. Float testing is not a good thing to do. After all if they loose the right amount of weight there going to float. Let her run her nest she will let you know. Depending on your breed it can take 28-35 days. Depending on her diligence even more. For instance she may be taking longer breaks from the nest so longer cool downs therefore more time to hatch.

I just hatched a group of geese that were in a incubator that quite in the middle of the night. Recovered the eggs got them in a new incubator in the morning (they were cold) yet still hatched today. 80% recovery on the embryos.

There are always time in a hatch (incubator) I think I lost the embryo but have learned. Candling can only give you a thought that there good. Ones I thought were not were. Just being not active at the moment.

Still remember years ago when I found a duck nest and candled them saw black blobs in the eggs thought they were dead till I heard the chirp from the trash.
Alright thank you for all of your insight, I guess I’ll just have to be patient and let nature run it’s course. Hopefully all her efforts sitting aren’t a waste.

I just got here hope your all doing well...I was wondering my wild goose family that set up nest in my pond on 3/24 left very early 5/6 the nest is abandoned now, would I see eggs if they didn't hatch? would they be buried down in the nest if they didn't hatch?...from what i can see the nest is empty and lots of cozy down feathers, I watched and filmed them every day from afar and the last two days they were very vocal and active but I didn't see any baby's last night....14 hours later the nest is vacant...it's been 24 hours since I saw them last I got a great video of them flying in after a 20 minute lunch date, it was the last I saw of them🙏🪿🐣

Back
Top Bottom