How many days to complete clutch of eggs?

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
How many days does it take a hen to complete her clutch of eggs and start setting? Do they set on the first egg that pops out and continue setting until all eggs are deposited? Or do they wait for all the eggs to deposit first and THEN set? I hear that fertile eggs are good for around a few weeks, so I would think the hen will know to wait til' all eggs are done, and then set on it? That way it doesn't create a staggered hatching rate, right?

How many days does it take a hen to complete her clutch of eggs and start setting? Do they set on the first egg that pops out and continue setting until all eggs are deposited? Or do they wait for all the eggs to deposit first and THEN set? I hear that fertile eggs are good for around a few weeks, so I would think the hen will know to wait til' all eggs are done, and then set on it? That way it doesn't create a staggered hatching rate, right?

A hen lays a clutch of eggs and then sits as with the fertile eggs, the earlier the better ;)

A hen lays a clutch of eggs and then sits as with the fertile eggs, the earlier the better ;)

Well, I just found out I've got an egg this morning! Though excited, I am unsure what to do....... should I go ahead and buy an incubator? She has never shown any signs of being broody before the egg, do they only display broody behavior AFTER having an egg? I'm confused as to what to do, will the one lonely egg so far be OK because I don't think she's setting on it? Will she only set once all the eggs are out of her?

The breed of my chickens are the Oriental Gamefowl variety, if that matters.

Well, I just found out I've got an egg this morning! Though excited, I am unsure what to do....... should I go ahead and buy an incubator? She has never shown any signs of being broody before the egg, do they only display broody behavior AFTER having an egg? I'm confused as to what to do, will the one lonely egg so far be OK because I don't think she's setting on it? Will she only set once all the eggs are out of her?

The breed of my chickens are the Oriental Gamefowl variety, if that matters.
They don’t go broody immediately, an incubator is more reliable then relying on your hen to brood.

She will only set if she's broody...some birds never go broody and continue to lay eggs without setting. Collect your eggs daily.
Do you think I should just leave the eggs there first and see if she gets broody? And if she doesn't get broody, then I can take them out and try to incubate? How many days can the eggs still be good to hatch before setting them either by hen or incubator?

Do you think I should just leave the eggs there first and see if she gets broody? And if she doesn't get broody, then I can take them out and try to incubate? How many days can the eggs still be good to hatch before setting them either by hen or incubator?
No, all eggs should be gathered daily and stored in a cool place(~70°F) until you have enough to fill the incubator or for if a hen goes broody.
Best to incubate eggs within 7-10 days of being laid.

Leaving egg in the nest might stimulate a bird to go broody, but it's a slim chance.

Did this bird just start laying, how old is she in weeks?
It's not a great idea to hatch pullet eggs.
Also not a great idea to let a pullet stay broody, they often don't stick with it long enough.

No, all eggs should be gathered daily and stored in a cool place(~70°F) until you have enough to fill the incubator or for if a hen goes broody.
Best to incubate eggs within 7-10 days of being laid.

Leaving egg in the nest might stimulate a bird to go broody, but it's a slim chance.

Did this bird just start laying, how old is she in weeks?
It's not a great idea to hatch pullet eggs.
Also not a great idea to let a pullet stay broody, they often don't stick with it long enough.
She's about a year old and so is her husband. :p

I think I might just let the lone egg sit in the nest box for a few days and see if more eggs collect there, and hope she goes broody. If not, I will get an incubator and just try to hatch it that way after 10 days or so. She is an Oriental Gamefowl and from what I read they are good at hatching eggs by themselves unlike commercial egg laying chickens where they breed them to just lay eggs and move along to lay more. Question though, after the first egg..... how many more days until she deposits her last egg? I want to know what kind of window I'm working.

She's about a year old and so is her husband. :p

I think I might just let the lone egg sit in the nest box for a few days and see if more eggs collect there, and hope she goes broody. If not, I will get an incubator and just try to hatch it that way after 10 days or so. She is an Oriental Gamefowl and from what I read they are good at hatching eggs by themselves unlike commercial egg laying chickens where they breed them to just lay eggs and move along to lay more. Question though, after the first egg..... how many more days until she deposits her last egg? I want to know what kind of window I'm working.

Her husband ? You say ?
You can put golf balls in the nest, that can trigger them to broody.
I wouldn’t rely on it though, best get an incubator ;)

Back
Top Bottom