How to get my chickens to like Rooster Booster?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
1000009929.png

One of my older hens is struggling to absorb calcium, I think. She was laying shell less eggs even when I was giving her two tablets of calcium with 600mg and 10mcg of Vitamin D per tablet. When I started dosing her with poultry cell she started laying full shell eggs again, so I'm thinking she might have trouble absorbing calcium.

I'm going on vacation in two weeks and won't be around to dose her so I bought rooster booster to put in her food so she can get extra vitamins. But when I mixed this in with their food yesterday, I think she didn't like it and pecked around it when she normally eats her food. I personally think it doesn't smell pleasant either so I don't blame her for not liking it. Will she get used to it and still eat it if no other food is available? Any way to make it more palatable?

We have mixed that in our chicken feed for the past 8 years. I do it because we raise silkies who are prone to vitamin deficiencies. It might be overkill as they get good feed, but I just want to avoid any issues. I'd keep doing it.

As an alternative, have you tried just oyster shell in a separate dish from her food?

We have mixed that in our chicken feed for the past 8 years. I do it because we raise silkies who are prone to vitamin deficiencies. It might be overkill as they get good feed, but I just want to avoid any issues. I'd keep doing it.

As an alternative, have you tried just oyster shell in a separate dish from her food?
Yes. I leave out oyster shell and egg shells. I usually get all flock feed but I got egg layer feed for her since she has her own coop.

Back
Top Bottom