How to keep out hawks?

maliciousglow

Hatching
Mar 2, 2015
I live in the panhandle of Florida, very close to a nature preserve and there are a lot of predators out here. I'm developing the schematics for my chicken run and would like to know what is the best type of wire/fencing/mesh to keep out hawks? In that vein, I also will have to deal with possums, raccoons, foxes, and cats.

I live in the panhandle of Florida, very close to a nature preserve and there are a lot of predators out here. I'm developing the schematics for my chicken run and would like to know what is the best type of wire/fencing/mesh to keep out hawks? In that vein, I also will have to deal with possums, raccoons, foxes, and cats.

Hello from Rosenberg (Houston), Texas! How big will your pen/run be? I have only been in the chicken business for 4 years. Here is what we have done: We put up an electric fence (wire around the base of the fence) and I made a 'cobweb' of heavy gauge fishing line over the top of the pen/run. The fishing line sparkles in the sun and will deter the flying predators. Since putting up the electric fence and the cobweb, no varmints have gotten in.

Good luck on making them safe.

Lisa :)

Well, the run with be a chicken tunnel going alongside the garden beds, approximately 50 feet long and roughly 3 feet tall.

Well, the run with be a chicken tunnel going alongside the garden beds, approximately 50 feet long and roughly 3 feet tall.

You are going to have a 'chunnel'. Cool. I would think your flock would be safe from flying predators. How are you anchoring the fence into the ground?
Some people will make an 'apron' with the fencing, so the dogs can't dig under it.
ApronFence.jpg

Lisa :)

2x4 welded wire will keep hawks out....and slow most everything else down at least.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom