I AM A NEW MEMBER ...AND I AM ADDICTED!!!

HI from PA !
thumbsup.gif
welcome to the madness.
celebrate.gif

Hi Cindy,

Welcome, and you will love having chickens around. My sons are grown up an gone too, and I have been kept at home recently with a health problem so I have really enjoyed having my small flock of 4 chickens around.

Some days they are the only conversations I have, and to be honest it has been a long time since I rocked laughing, but these girls are fun and entertaining, and excellent listeners.

Along with this site I am learning, and having a fantastic day every day, and laugh out load at least once a day.

Jena.

Thank you everyone for the kind welcome!!!
frow.gif
I really appreciate your comments!!

I think that I will go over to the feed store tomorrow (about 35 minutes away) to find out about placing an order for chicks for delivery early next year.

All the pictures of chicks and hens and the posts about new eggs make me eager to get started!!!

Cindy

welcome-byc.gif

You will have a great time with BYC! I started off just wanting a few (maybe 4) layers to keep our family well-supplied with eggs. Oh, I have layers alright, 17 of them! Plus some ornamental/pet breeds that also lay eggs, for a total of 41 chickens.

So I am not only overrun with chickens, I am overrun with eggs! I never did so much baking in my life! And I am keeping the neighborhood in eggs!

It's crazy, but when you get chickens, you just can't resist another one when you see it. They're like potato chips!

Good luck! Genie

Last edited:
My wife thought I was 100% NUTZ. Now I catch her outside talking to my two silkies all the time.

I suggest Silkies because they are a small, docile, luvable, easy to train, not flighty or skittish, not squacky, and they don't fly.

BUT
They go broody at the drop of a hat and they are not big egg producers. The eggs are tiny compared to a regular chicken and they don't produce a lot of eggs over time. From my two I get about 8 or 9 a week.

But their entertainment value makes up for any shtortfalls. It's like the Muppet Show in my backyard!
tongue.png

Welcome from a bit further North!
Make your coop expandable, research what you want, find homes for your roosters because they may happen - if you order chicks from hatcheries, they're called packing peanuts!

Different chickens lay different colored eggs - pick your favorite color and chose your chickens that way if you like! My favorites were the Marans, when I saw those dark dark brown eggs, oh my....I was totally won over!

That was last year....I started right here on BYC looking for a white silkie rooster like I had 12 years ago....this summer my flock was as high as 90 chickens! I only have 74 right now. Yes, it is an addiction! Chickens are beautiful and tons of fun!
Enjoy,
Tina/tfpets

Back
Top Bottom