I have two Brahma hens that are having trouble joining the flock. Help!!??

BauerWFarm

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
I have a small young flock of 6 hens…3 Brahmas and two Plymouth Barred Rock hens, and 1Plymouth BR Rooster. The Brahmas are just over a year old I think and we’re added at mid June. No issues…. But I had some younger hens two Buff brahmas I had separate till they were old enough and 4 others (barnevelder and speckled Sussex)only two weeks apart and I waited too long because I knew those barnevelders and Sussex were ready join the others I was mainly concerned for the Buffs…. Because they seemed you hee although close in age with the other 4….. so I did I let all six out together so not to have the brahmas picked on….. we’ll, they Buffs have not acclimated well at all… even the sussex will go after them which I found surprising. So I off and on continue to place the buffs in loses under the coop…. Am I making the situation worse by doing this or do they just need to mature more?? They aren’t laying they are still too young…. But I know they getting pecked on by the missing feathers on one of their feet and this morning I found one of my buffs literally underneath the feeding bus Jets that are on a stand…. With the other right next to her. They are inseparable.

Finding her like that was very sad and I chose to but then in their area again…. Any suggestions on what I should be doing or not doing???

I would greatly appreciate the advice

Much thanks. I have tons of video and photos just not sure what sort to add to this post.

I also had hoped since I had three laying brahmas that they would tend to join them…. But they were not welcomed at all.

Please photos of your set up, both coop and run.

So I'm a little confused on the numbers. It's 6 birds total, or 6 + 4? 6? more? How old are the younger birds? How old were they when you began integration, and how long ago was that?

So I off and on continue to place the buffs in loses under the coop
Not sure what this means. Do you have photos of this area?

Please photos of your set up, both coop and run.

So I'm a little confused on the numbers. It's 6 birds total, or 6 + 4? 6? more? How old are the younger birds? How old were they when you began integration, and how long ago was that?

Not sure what this means. Do you have photos of this area?

This is how old they were July 12th… on August 9th I moved the Buff brahmas and their pen into the chicken yard where they range so they could be used to seeing each other…. That went fine. The remaining four I had placed in an extra coop just for a couple days and then September 1st I introduced all 6 at the same time so free range with the others and provided lots of treats as well…. It went incredibly smooth, there were no little bickering a or anything. It was pleasantly very surprising……

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 5
This is how old they were July 12th… on August 9th I moved the Buff brahmas and their pen into the chicken yard where they range so they could be used to seeing each other…. That went fine. The remaining four I had placed in an extra coop just for a couple days and then September 1st I introduced all 6 at the same time so free range with the others and provided lots of treats as well…. It went incredibly smooth, there were no little bickering a or anything. It was pleasantly very surprising……
And I apologize I know i sound confusing it’s because I had various age groupings and as they they became of age were put together. It’s possible I guess the Brahma could of been under the feed to be cool. It doesn’t seem likely to me.

Attachments

• 789E1E97-2F2D-472B-92A9-345A5556773D.jpeg
    789E1E97-2F2D-472B-92A9-345A5556773D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 2C37EB19-47AF-444B-883F-B7DD3BF10482.jpeg
    2C37EB19-47AF-444B-883F-B7DD3BF10482.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 7
  • F8D61B87-FE87-43DF-A21A-C835B7CF038E.jpeg
    F8D61B87-FE87-43DF-A21A-C835B7CF038E.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 6
And I apologize I know i sound confusing it’s because I had various age groupings and as they they became of age were put together. It’s possible I guess the Brahma could of been under the feed to be cool. It doesn’t seem likely to me.
This is the area Im referring to…. It’s very messy because we had over 10 inches of rain….. and this set up is in transition till a full size coop is built for them all.

I have total of 12 birds…. The youngest being 4 months… my concern is they when I let birds out to free range they stay back in the pen…. And vey reluctantly come out…. And the will act scared, they have been pecked or chased by every bird in the group and aren’t doing near as well. I’m embarrassed to say I went about asking for help in a confusing way.

I wanted to share a video but for some reason it’s not letting me….
Videos have to be uploaded to another site (i.e. yt) and then linked here, this site won't host them.

So the black pen in the photos with the small coop... is that space for all 12 birds, or is that just the younger birds' pen? Are all the feeders on that stand you have set up, or are there other ones (for either all 12, or just older birds) outside of that?

Videos have to be uploaded to another site (i.e. yt) and then linked here, this site won't host them.

So the black pen in the photos with the small coop... is that space for all 12 birds, or is that just the younger birds' pen? Are all the feeders on that stand you have set up, or are there other ones (for either all 12, or just older birds) outside of that?
So I’m adding several pics of the area…. This was suppose to be a mother daughter project….without getting follow thru solutions with my mom…. So it turned into I needed something ASAP….. that is why you see the Retriever pen and coop inside…. It now has a roof, predator proof etc. And it was for 4 hens and 1 roo. Pen/Run being 10 x 10 coop 6 x 4 not including calculations for area with coop space….. as i bought more pullets we needed to have temporary housing …. So there is a second coop maybe 12 sq. ft. With no run…. All birds are hardly ever confined in these spaces other than at night. In fact the coop inside the pen”run”. Is left completely open and I just close the gate to the pen and they roost where they will….. we live in Texas, and temperatures have been unbearable this leaving things open for most filtration. I used other methods as well to keep them birds cool. As you can see they have plenty of space to run around, forage, etc… all birds I raised with exception to the white brahmas I was given by a friend (they had been laying for about 3 Months), my Buff brahmas were my youngest birds and the most friendly we had out of any of them. Total birds is 12 they roost divided at night, there are multiple feed and water stations available… I have an extension pack for then run to make it 160 square feet and we want to de clutter, and build a coop with plenty of room for all…. I can either attach it to the run or we may build a new run as well…. Idk. My concern is the Buff brahmas are definitely being bullied when ever they even attempt to come near the “popular” areas or when treats are thrown…. They will hide behind pots trying to sneak in a mealworm…. Or run away while feathers are grabbed. They also are the last ones to ever leave the coop…. Not full of excitement to Burt thru the gate. I hope this gives you a better idea of the situation. The reason our very much needed finished coop and run has not been completed in the Spring as we hoped is due to TX extreme heat, a death in the family and more recently more rain in a week than we normally get in a year…. I finally turned to survival mode and what would work for now till I could start the finish project.

And I’m new to this site, we had birds (all kinds) growing up, but I am new to doing this 20 years later 😂. It makes a difference. Any advice is greatly appreciated, help with how I can help the buff Brahmas aclimate would be greatly appreciated and any other ideas in regards to coop or run ideas….

Flock ages are:
3 White Brahmas 13 months
3 Barred rocks 6 1/2 months
2 Sussex 4 1/2 months
2 Barnevelders 4 1/2 months
2 Buff Brahmas 4 months

Much thanks…. Especially if you were willing to read all this 😜. Bird issues 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• BDC1DFC0-9842-4BC6-B407-0255132A95C2.jpeg
    BDC1DFC0-9842-4BC6-B407-0255132A95C2.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DF076C7A-6F5A-43CB-9ED9-2C9A99E1842A.jpeg
    DF076C7A-6F5A-43CB-9ED9-2C9A99E1842A.jpeg
    635.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 622F4697-B4D9-4BE3-92A5-248569431DF8.jpeg
    622F4697-B4D9-4BE3-92A5-248569431DF8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • FE37ECC3-C6BA-484D-98F5-153BB8C25221.jpeg
    FE37ECC3-C6BA-484D-98F5-153BB8C25221.jpeg