Injured duck NOT EATING!

Jminchak

Hatching
Nov 10, 2020
Hello all,
First time duck owner here, I have a 6 month old female who was badly abused by the drakes, pulled out tail feathers and wing feathers to the point that she can’t stand or walk. She just lays on her belly and scoots herself around. I currently have her separated in the duck house and she won’t eat anything. She also doesn’t seem to quack or make any noises anymore. She just lays there breathing with her mouth open, almost like she’s trying to clear her throat. She’s been like this for almost a week now. Her wounds are a bit better but she’s not eating anything. I’m getting nervous we’re gonna lose her if she doesn’t eat. She’ll only drink a bit of water when it’s right in her face. Please help.

Attachments

• 2C05904A-C0D9-4D24-9BBD-197A2387CAE4.jpeg
    2C05904A-C0D9-4D24-9BBD-197A2387CAE4.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 38
  • E71311DC-3D7C-415C-9A56-07174E01321B.jpeg
    E71311DC-3D7C-415C-9A56-07174E01321B.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 7
  • E6B30791-1197-4B98-A5E5-F2324178A847.jpeg
    E6B30791-1197-4B98-A5E5-F2324178A847.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 5
  • 68FC41D5-CDB0-4D23-983A-301816AED68F.jpeg
    68FC41D5-CDB0-4D23-983A-301816AED68F.jpeg
    343.8 KB · Views: 7
You can give her some Gatorade, Pedialyte or electrolyte water to help keep her hydrated. You can try giving her some scrambled eggs. I would also suggest getting stuff to tube fed her ( these can take a bit a work finding). That extra help can get them through the shock faze.

@Isaac 0 is very knowledgeable about these issues and will be able to direct you better.

Unable to maintain normothermia due to her anorexic state, first goals should be placed on moving her into a warm area. Once she has warmed up for a few hours, I suggest offering her warm sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade to help maintain hydration status and ward off hypoglycemia which can be common in extensive cases of anorexia.

If she is not eating, nutritional status must be maintained and that can only be done via tube feeding. Supplies needed for tube feeding include a 60ml syringe, parrot baby feeding formula/ or a gamebird starter, a gram scale, and lastly tubing to put down her throat. For tubing, it is best to use an 18 french red rubber catheter, but aquarium tubing of the appropriate size can work as well, however, the tips must be melted and smoothed down to prevent esophageal damage during the process.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Unable to maintain normothermia due to her anorexic state, first goals should be placed on moving her into a warm area. Once she has warmed up for a few hours, I suggest offering her warm sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade to help maintain hydration status and ward off hypoglycemia which can be common in extensive cases of anorexia.

If she is not eating, nutritional status must be maintained and that can only be done via tube feeding. Supplies needed for tube feeding include a 60ml syringe, parrot baby feeding formula/ or a gamebird starter, a gram scale, and lastly tubing to put down her throat. For tubing, it is best to use an 18 french red rubber catheter, but aquarium tubing of the appropriate size can work as well, however, the tips must be melted and smoothed down to prevent esophageal damage during the process.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
She did eat about 2 eggs scrambled with some chopped spinach today. I have an electrolyte addition in her water along with probiotics. If she continues to eat the eggs, how much should she eat daily?

She did eat about 2 eggs scrambled with some chopped spinach today. I have an electrolyte addition in her water along with probiotics. If she continues to eat the eggs, how much should she eat daily?

That is good to hear she eating - I would simply try to continue offering her foods until she resists. Warm soupy feed, tuna, greens, mashed scrambled eggs are all good choices. To ensure she is eating enough, you can start weighing her on a gram scale daily to track weight progress.

Back
Top Bottom