Injured leg and panting.

beebesknees

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi all. I just got chicks a week ago and everything was going great. This morning I woke up and the lid of the feeder had been knocked off. I didn't think much of it but then this afternoon I noticed one of my chicks was walking with her left leg pointing out. She was the strongest of the chicks until today. It does not appear to be splay leg since the other is perfect and from her body to her knee is straight. Her joint may be swollen but it's ever so slight. Another thing is she is panting but so are a few others. Our brooder is set at 85 degrees which is 5 below what they should be for 1 week yet they are still panting. Anyway, she is walking, just oddly. She can get to food and water and no one is picking on her yet. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20210408_152225.jpg
    20210408_152225.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi all. I just got chicks a week ago and everything was going great. This morning I woke up and the lid of the feeder had been knocked off. I didn't think much of it but then this afternoon I noticed one of my chicks was walking with her left leg pointing out. She was the strongest of the chicks until today. It does not appear to be splay leg since the other is perfect and from her body to her knee is straight. Her joint may be swollen but it's ever so slight. Another thing is she is panting but so are a few others. Our brooder is set at 85 degrees which is 5 below what they should be for 1 week yet they are still panting. Anyway, she is walking, just oddly. She can get to food and water and no one is picking on her yet. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
Just to make sure there is some spot in their brooder where they can cool off, just in case they get too hot, which does cause panting. Ours did the same thing, and always went for the coolest spot after a little while.

Just to make sure there is some spot in their brooder where they can cool off, just in case they get too hot, which does cause panting. Ours did the same thing, and always went for the coolest spot after a little while.
We got a cold hearty breed. Is it possible that the standard 95 degrees is too warm for them? Also, any ideas on the leg?

We got a cold hearty breed. Is it possible that the standard 95 degrees is too warm for them? Also, any ideas on the leg?
Yes, possibly, as they would be more used to the cold. Also, regarding the leg, did you see the chick possibly bump into something or jump on top of something and fall?

No, I didn't see anything. She was fine when I went to bed and when I woke, I noticed that her toes are pointing outward. She gets around ok, eating and drinking and isn't chirping so I assume she isn't in pain.

No, I didn't see anything. She was fine when I went to bed and when I woke, I noticed that her toes are pointing outward. She gets around ok, eating and drinking and isn't chirping so I assume she isn't in pain.
She may have just been walking around and her foot hit the ground at a weird angle of something of that nature.

I am a first time posted and I am not sure how to do that yet. I will try to figure it out. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom