Integrating 2 cockerels & 2 pullets to 8 hens.

ValerieJ

On the other side
7 Years
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
I have 2 cockerels and 2 pullets that are now 4 months old. That's when I normally integrate into my flock, but I'm normally integrating pullets only, or just one cockerel with a couple pullets. They have been living in an adjacent coop and run since they were about 6 or 7 weeks old, so they are all familiar with each other, and there seems to be no squabbling at the fenceline.

Soon the biggest cockerel is going to get hormonal. I'm watching him discover he is the leader and protector of his pullets, and maybe even the other cockerel. Eventually I think I'll have to have a bachelor pad, and could just integrate the two pullets and start that now, but they are so attached to him that I think it would traumatize them.

Here's my thought: open the gate and let everyone integrate and watch for issues. Don't segregate the cockerels until I see something go wrong. Who knows? It might all go right? Is that possible? :idunno

Any suggestions? Advice?

Integrate them all at once. The older gals will keep those boys in line. I have 4 pullets that are of laying age. I'm integrating 5 cockerels and 1 pullet that are 4 months old. At the same time I'm integrating a dozen 8 week olds, half boys and half girls.

I doubt you'll see anything different from your previous experience, at least until the boys are really interested in the ladies. Are you keeping the roos?

Integrate them all at once. The older gals will keep those boys in line. I have 4 pullets that are of laying age. I'm integrating 5 cockerels and 1 pullet that are 4 months old. At the same time I'm integrating a dozen 8 week olds, half boys and half girls.

I doubt you'll see anything different from your previous experience, at least until the boys are really interested in the ladies. Are you keeping the roos?
I'm definitely keeping the cockerels no matter how integration works out. I can keep them in an adjacent bachelor pad or even in a pen 200 feet away if I have too. I'm very fond of them. I have never had good luck with roosters so I'll be on here with every issue, I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice IM!!! I'm going to do it today. I'm having a "Valerie Day" and that means I can spend as much time as I like with the chickens. :wee

I'm definitely keeping the cockerels no matter how integration works out. I can keep them in an adjacent bachelor pad or even in a pen 200 feet away if I have too. I'm very fond of them. I have never had good luck with roosters so I'll be on here with every issue, I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice IM!!! I'm going to do it today. I'm having a "Valerie Day" and that means I can spend as much time as I like with the chickens. :wee
:wootEnjoy YOUR day Val!

I would integrate them and keep an eye out for excessive bullying— the roosters will fight to establish the pecking order, but if one continues to chase and beat the other, or they’re drawing blood, intervene. Or the older hens might keep them in check, or one is already dominant... you can only wait & see.
Thanks! One is definitely dominant. In fact, he and the two pullets were bought to help my lone surviving egg hatch, so they have all taken him under their wings from the beginning. He doesn't even crow yet. I think he's quite happy being taken care of. So, the thing that can change that is when the hormones kick in and I expect that within the next month. I'll keep a close eye on them. I would have done this sooner, but I've been on a dead run since Thanksgiving week! Now finally I can take care of the important things - chickens!! :woot

Thanks. I'm inclined to do that too. How old are the ones you are going to integrate?

I have a few "little flocks" I'm going to merge. I have 4 free ranging hens about a year old or so give and take a few months. A couple of Crested Polish hens about 7-8 months old and 11 Mosiac that are almost 3 months old. The free rangers and Polish were given to me from bro in law that can no longer keep any animals around due to his daughters health.

I have a few "little flocks" I'm going to merge. I have 4 free ranging hens about a year old or so give and take a few months. A couple of Crested Polish hens about 7-8 months old and 11 Mosiac that are almost 3 months old. The free rangers and Polish were given to me from bro in law that can no longer keep any animals around due to his daughters health.
That sounds like a fun flock. I think they'll all be so excited about all the new friends it will work great. Three group integration might actually be better than two.

Back
Top Bottom