Is it possible for a pullet to NEVER lay an egg?

Have you ever had a pullet that was 1 year old or older before she started to lay?

• Yes

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Are you crazy - waiting that long is impractical!

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
Pics
I have a Buff Orpington that is 16 months old and has never laid an egg. She pretends to, she goes through the motions. She sits on a nest every day for an hour or 2 and never lays. She is very sweet and I wonder if maybe she will go broody one day and sit on everyone elses eggs for me. But at this point I think something inside of her must be broken and she just can't lay eggs. And no, she doesn't eat them. She will sit on other hens eggs for a while and not lay one and won't eat the other ones.
Did your Buff Orpington ever lay? I have a BO that is 13 months old now and she has never laid. Her sisters have all laid since they were ~7 months old.

My Brown Leghorn laid her first egg nearly a year to the day she was hatched! I had worried she'd never lay and egg, she was smaller, more skittish, and petite compared to the other hens, but man, she laid that first egg and suddenly seemed to fill out! In about two to three weeks, she started laying regularly and became the size of the rest of the laying Leghorns. She also mellowed the heck out and isn't near as skittish as before.

Starting to lay at the year old mark is possible! There is hope yet 😅

My Brown Leghorn laid her first egg nearly a year to the day she was hatched! I had worried she'd never lay and egg, she was smaller, more skittish, and petite compared to the other hens, but man, she laid that first egg and suddenly seemed to fill out! In about two to three weeks, she started laying regularly and became the size of the rest of the laying Leghorns. She also mellowed the heck out and isn't near as skittish as before.

Starting to lay at the year old mark is possible! There is hope yet 😅
Yay! There's hope for my Tilly!!

Back
Top Bottom