Is it possible for a pullet to NEVER lay an egg?

Have you ever had a pullet that was 1 year old or older before she started to lay?

• Yes

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • No

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Are you crazy - waiting that long is impractical!

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
I have a great hen see not laying unless see laying in other box and nesting all the time in one box took golf ball she put bread there but she friendly I can hold her she will set on egg I can get in spring to make me more pull so I say she can stay egg or not my Karen will live long life...

I have a great hen see not laying unless see laying in other box and nesting all the time in one box took golf ball she put bread there but she friendly I can hold her she will set on egg I can get in spring to make me more pull so I say she can stay egg or not my Karen will live long life...

You might be surprised. If she's an older hen and she's stopped laying, then she may or may not start back up. But if she's a young pullet, and she's never laid an egg, there's still a chance for her to start late. My AC is still laying like a young pullet at 2+ years old and her "sister" a white leghorn, Snow White, who laid pretty much daily, has already died. So there are some advantages to laying later.

Sadly AC's egg laying days are over. I found her laying on the floor of the coop. Couldn't tell what killed her but she had some blood on her face. It could have been from a fight with a younger one since she was lead hen. It could have been .pecks after she was dead.

She lived a good life and laid an egg just one day ago. I will miss her.

I posted on this thread a couple times and just reread some of it. I didn't see much discussion about diet. When you posted initially back in summer 2012 I think you said she was 11 months old. That would have made her just 2 1/2 years old. That's pretty young, especially for an Ancona.
I'm assuming your birds were on layer feed. If so, at what age did the non layer start on the layer feed?

I posted on this thread a couple times and just reread some of it. I didn't see much discussion about diet. When you posted initially back in summer 2012 I think you said she was 11 months old. That would have made her just 2 1/2 years old. That's pretty young, especially for an Ancona.
I'm assuming your birds were on layer feed. If so, at what age did the non layer start on the layer feed?

I believe I started my layers on layer crumbles at 17 weeks old. But I generally still had Grow & Start around as well since my flock is mixed ages. She was eating layer feed long before she began laying. Although she would also sometimes eat the babies food too.

I have a Buff Orpington that is 16 months old and has never laid an egg. She pretends to, she goes through the motions. She sits on a nest every day for an hour or 2 and never lays. She is very sweet and I wonder if maybe she will go broody one day and sit on everyone elses eggs for me. But at this point I think something inside of her must be broken and she just can't lay eggs. And no, she doesn't eat them. She will sit on other hens eggs for a while and not lay one and won't eat the other ones.

I have a Buff Orpington that is 16 months old and has never laid an egg. She pretends to, she goes through the motions. She sits on a nest every day for an hour or 2 and never lays. She is very sweet and I wonder if maybe she will go broody one day and sit on everyone elses eggs for me. But at this point I think something inside of her must be broken and she just can't lay eggs. And no, she doesn't eat them. She will sit on other hens eggs for a while and not lay one and won't eat the other ones. 

I didn't think I'd ever get an egg from AC but eventually she did start laying. Hang in there. :)

i have 15 chicks and 2 flocks- one has 7 chickens but 5 are laying. i would only get usually 2 or 3 eggs a day. while watching them free range, i noticed that some went missing and then reappeared.one day while walking by their shed, i noticed a chicken laying an egg under it and four eggs. while collecting them, i found 14 eggs under there.
yesss.gif
problem solved- so i had to make a new nesting box

I started with 11 golden comets and 1 girls that looks like an ISA Brown. They started laying at 19 weeks ... all except one and I don't know which one or really care because it isn't about the eggs. Just saying that I have a non-layer. If this changes I will let all y'all know .. from the Great Dismal Swamp
Wildlife Refuge, I remain a loving chicken momma.

Back
Top Bottom