Aug 8, 2021
I've been caring for a lone corturnix quail recently, it was the only egg to hatch out of 6 last eggs of my dead flock.
She was lonely but she was doing well!

Last night, I cleaned her home up for the first time in her life; she was previously living in our garage so her hutch was wet and sticky for the first time ever. She was perfectly fine last night, if not terrified that I locked her out of her house for a bit, then I moved her back in when I was done cleaning.
This morning, however, I came outside to a little pool of blood and my little quail sitting in the corner of the back of her hutch. I have no clue what might've gotten to her.
She didn't run from me, and I found the source of all the blood was her wing, which was heavily broken with the bone sticking out. The blood seemed pretty fresh, and the wound was still really red.

I couldn't get any pictures because I was running late to school, but is there anything at all that I can do for her after 7 hours or will I have to put her down when I get home?
I've grown really attached to her, and I just want to do what'd be best for her, but I can't afford a vet.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated, thank you guys

I've been caring for a lone corturnix quail recently, it was the only egg to hatch out of 6 last eggs of my dead flock.
She was lonely but she was doing well!

Last night, I cleaned her home up for the first time in her life; she was previously living in our garage so her hutch was wet and sticky for the first time ever. She was perfectly fine last night, if not terrified that I locked her out of her house for a bit, then I moved her back in when I was done cleaning.
This morning, however, I came outside to a little pool of blood and my little quail sitting in the corner of the back of her hutch. I have no clue what might've gotten to her.
She didn't run from me, and I found the source of all the blood was her wing, which was heavily broken with the bone sticking out. The blood seemed pretty fresh, and the wound was still really red.

I couldn't get any pictures because I was running late to school, but is there anything at all that I can do for her after 7 hours or will I have to put her down when I get home?
I've grown really attached to her, and I just want to do what'd be best for her, but I can't afford a vet.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated, thank you guys
that sucks. how high up on her wing is the injury? do you have a bird vet in your area? can you keep her someplace safe from whatever got her?

depending on the size of the wound, damage done to the wing, and where it is on her wing, it may heal by itself. i've posted before, and may post again, that I once had a Rhode Island Red who lived for a year, and became the queen of her flock, despite having an exposed shoulder bone. (she may have lived longer, but she bit me in the eye, attacked and tried to eat a FULLY GROWN CORNISH CROSS, and when my family moved, my mom decided to get rid of the birds {with an axe😠}, so yeah, Angel was a crazy bird. oh, and the way she messed up her wing to begin with was when she flew over the fence and started a fight with the neighbors dog. I'd say the fight ended in a draw, which is impressive considering the neighbor bred enormous Dobermans and Pit Bulls for a living.

that sucks. how high up on her wing is the injury? do you have a bird vet in your area? can you keep her someplace safe from whatever got her?

depending on the size of the wound, damage done to the wing, and where it is on her wing, it may heal by itself. i've posted before, and may post again, that I once had a Rhode Island Red who lived for a year, and became the queen of her flock, despite having an exposed shoulder bone. (she may have lived longer, but she bit me in the eye, attacked and tried to eat a FULLY GROWN CORNISH CROSS, and when my family moved, my mom decided to get rid of the birds {with an axe😠}, so yeah, Angel was a crazy bird. oh, and the way she messed up her wing to begin with was when she flew over the fence and started a fight with the neighbors dog. I'd say the fight ended in a draw, which is impressive considering the neighbor bred enormous Dobermans and Pit Bulls for a living.
I was shaking when I handled her this morning, so I don't know the exacts, but I believe she broke the upper part of her wing.
I don't know if it was a clean break; I'll have to check when I get home.

I'll definitely check out the post you made about your queen of the flock, I'm sure it'll help me out with the panic <:)

I was shaking when I handled her this morning, so I don't know the exacts, but I believe she broke the upper part of her wing.
I don't know if it was a clean break; I'll have to check when I get home.

I'll definitely check out the post you made about your queen of the flock, I'm sure it'll help me out with the panic <:)
there's one or two posts about her, but it's mostly just me replying to stuff like this. she was crazier than any rooster I ever had, and back then I would have done anything to get rid of her. now though, her memory serves as a reminder of how you should never give up on your birds.

good luck with your little quail friend!(I hatched twelve last month, but now i'm down to nine. those birds are unfortunately good at dying🙁)

Okay I’m back home now, I’ve gotten her out of her cage and put her into a bowl in my sink and I’m going to CVS soon to get hydrogen peroxide and/saline solution and some silver wound gel. Her wing is stuck to her feathers with blood and I don’t quite know how to clean that off so I can get a better look at the broken bone. Am I allowed to use water to wash off the wound and the blood before adding the Hydrogen peroxide and/saline solution? Or should I not let water touch it at all?

Edit: so I’m back home, I’m gonna use warm water to try and clean the bloody area first.

Last edited:
Okay! Update!!
So when I got back, I looked and found out that she had broken her humerus. I didn’t take any pictures of the broken wing, which was stupid now that I think of it, but with help of some friends (neither knew squat about poultry much less quail) and the internet, I figured I better disinfect it and bandage it.

I used a full bottle of saline solution after halfheartedly washing off some dry blood with warm water.
Then I put a crap ton of silver sulfadiazine around the area, put some gauze pads on the still wet feathers.
After that I used cotton gauze and rap to secure everything somewhat.

Her unbroken wing is free to open and close and such.

She had a ton of balance issues so I put her in a real small bucket with her resources super close to her.
I force-fed her some chick nutrients and water and she ate some crumble out of my hands!
(I gave her a little table because she seemed reluctant to lower and eat off the ground, I caught her taking a few sips of water though!)

Attachments

• IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 1
Okay! Update!!
So when I got back, I looked and found out that she had broken her humerus. I didn’t take any pictures of the broken wing, which was stupid now that I think of it, but with help of some friends (neither knew squat about poultry much less quail) and the internet, I figured I better disinfect it and bandage it.

I used a full bottle of saline solution after halfheartedly washing off some dry blood with warm water.
Then I put a crap ton of silver sulfadiazine around the area, put some gauze pads on the still wet feathers.
After that I used cotton gauze and rap to secure everything somewhat.

Her unbroken wing is free to open and close and such.

She had a ton of balance issues so I put her in a real small bucket with her resources super close to her.
I force-fed her some chick nutrients and water and she ate some crumble out of my hands!
(I gave her a little table because she seemed reluctant to lower and eat off the ground, I caught her taking a few sips of water though!)
Nice! Just make sure there’s no cats or anything around, and you should be all good! Hopefully your bird heals well.

Back
Top Bottom