Looking for opinions on covering my chicken run.

Tammyjean0312

Hatching
Apr 30, 2024
I just installed a 20 x 20 dog kennel. My 23 hens and Roger the Rooster will still free range when I am around home but I wanted a safe outdoor place when we are gone. My issue is, the run is not on level ground as you will see in the attached pictures and my husband will not build a roof over it using lumber, so I am fishing for other options. How would you cover it?

Attachments

• 20240429_084932.jpg
    20240429_084932.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240429_084942.jpg
    20240429_084942.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240429_084956.jpg
    20240429_084956.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240429_085015.jpg
    20240429_085015.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 11
I'd use zipties to attach hardware fabric or at least welded wire. It will sag, but you could remedy that by just running a couple boards across and wiring them in place. Then you could add a tarp over part of it like @Birdsarelife suggested to give them some shade and a place to get out of the rain.

I just installed a 20 x 20 dog kennel. My 23 hens and Roger the Rooster will still free range when I am around home but I wanted a safe outdoor place when we are gone. My issue is, the run is not on level ground as you will see in the attached pictures and my husband will not build a roof over it using lumber, so I am fishing for other options. How would you cover it?
I Have most of my turkey pen covered with 2" knotted netting it works very well for me. I have 50' X 100' pens covered with it not sure your location if you get heavy snow or not. A quick pic for reference.
IMG_0063.JPG

I'd do something like that^ Probably use conduit/EMT pipe or even large T-posts as vertical supports down the center, then I'd likely use metal cables connecting them to the fence and to one another like tension wires -- then mount netting over the top.
I use 2x4s with PVC end caps over top as to not be abrasive to netting. Not sure if you can see but there is cable running over top of PVC end caps out to 4x4 fence post for evening out the support. I also made my support posts removable as I have heavy snow loads and lowering net a bit helps take load off netting. I buried feild drainpipe in ground for 2x4s to slide in and out of as needed. Another pic may show better. :thumbsup
1714585703255.png

Last edited:
I would consider building a cattle panel lean to. Strap it to the top fence bar, then bend it to where you think will work fine. Hammer in a couple T-Posts to hold it in place. Then you can cover it with landscape fabric / tarp / plastic - depending on the season and what you want held out. Each panel will give you 4' of length and should hold up well to elements (depending on how well you strap it to that top bar.) That would give the birds some protection from the elements while outside.

There are pictures around here somewhere of somebody doing just that, but I can't find them.

Then, do some netting, as others have suggested, for the rest of the space.

I'd run one long support down the middle of the run so I could attach bird netting, wire fencing and a tarp (all 3)If you get snow it needs a slope

Back
Top Bottom