Mandarin Ducks haven't laid yet

EmmaGRS

Songster
May 31, 2021
I bought a pair of mandarins over the winter and this is my first year owning them. I was anticipating some mandarin ducklings this year, but the female hasn't laid yet. She has a nesting box, and i put straw in it originally and she made a little nest, but didn't lay in it for a couple months. I switched out the straw for wood shavings, thinking she maybe needed a different substrate, but there's still no eggs. The guy I bought them from said she was a couple years old, so she's hatched some already. Am I missing something that she needs? I feed her Mazuri breeder waterfowl feed. Thanks in advance!

I bought a pair of mandarins over the winter and this is my first year owning them. I was anticipating some mandarin ducklings this year, but the female hasn't laid yet. She has a nesting box, and i put straw in it originally and she made a little nest, but didn't lay in it for a couple months. I switched out the straw for wood shavings, thinking she maybe needed a different substrate, but there's still no eggs. The guy I bought them from said she was a couple years old, so she's hatched some already. Am I missing something that she needs? I feed her Mazuri breeder waterfowl feed. Thanks in advance!
Are they extremely stressed? Can you post a pic of their pen and her nest box?
Mandarins like a natural tree cavity or wood duck nest box (which it sounds like you might have), with a deep layer of fine wood shavings in the bottom. She wouldn't have wanted straw.
I'd also put up multiple nest boxes, I usually have at least two for each hen.
Did she check out your nest box at all?
And the drake you have, is that the one she was paired up with originally, before you got her, or a new one?

I don't have any images, and I'm unsure if i can get any. I will try. They may be stressed, ive had issues with her before flying straight into the chicken wire when she sees me. Now that's gotten better, she doesn't spook every time but they are still very wary. I'm unsure how to make her less stressed. She checked out the nest box at first, I could tell because she made a nest shape. And I'm unsure about the drake.

Back
Top Bottom