Meat

pembrokenh

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2024
Hello,

My wife and I are new to this. We recently order 1 dozen mixed sex Emden geese for meat (all female was not an option).

We are wondering if its possible to slaughter the males before they reach maturity?

We would like the flock to be mostly female and in a perfect world would keep a few (2-3) females and 1 gander for breeding and to hatch eggs in following years.

Info on the internet seems hard to come by, but for geese the consensus seems to be that male and female meat is fairly similar (different from chickens where there is significant differences)?

Thanks

Hello,

My wife and I are new to this. We recently order 1 dozen mixed sex Emden geese for meat (all female was not an option).

We are wondering if its possible to slaughter the males before they reach maturity?

We would like the flock to be mostly female and in a perfect world would keep a few (2-3) females and 1 gander for breeding and to hatch eggs in following years.

Info on the internet seems hard to come by, but for geese the consensus seems to be that male and female meat is fairly similar (different from chickens where there is significant differences)?

Thanks
I respect people who raise geese for there meat. I know Im not loved for that. But it is what keeps there heritage need and there existence going. By fall you will have a clue on which are boys. But they may not be to weight yet. But here is someone who can give you more information. @AGeese

I imagine you're wanting to be free of extra males before it becomes a battleground? I assume you can slaughter any time, and that it will be more about the quantity of the meat you'll get. I haven't raised any to harvest for meat myself, just eggs.

Exactly. i am wondering if there is a time when i can slaughter the males when they are reasonably large, but not old enough to be a probkem.

If you mean a problem handling well that's probably going to be sometime before you know they're males unless you're sexing them in which case you'll know and could then wait till they mature.

The way I could tell is that the males will lead and protect even earlier, but it's not very noticeable unless you pay attention. You might see them turn toward you when they're with the others and extend their neck. Both of my ganders would whinny like a horse constantly when they were young though all the geese do it so it can be tricky to know.

Here's a channel that might be of some help to you: https://www.youtube.com/@Peelridgestud

Exactly. i am wondering if there is a time when i can slaughter the males when they are reasonably large, but not old enough to be a probkem.
I raise geese for meat. Usually process between 20-30 per year. You will be able to get them to weight before spring and the males start competing for mates.

I typically have all goslings hatched by the end of May. I give mine Grower / Brewers Yeast for the first 4 weeks then they’re exclusively on pasture. I’ll harvest them at around 20-24 weeks and the last 4-6 weeks I feed a fermented mix of grains to get them fat. Keep the best ones for next springs breeding and repeat. I’m glad to see other folks interested in geese for meat. If you know how to prepare and cook them they are wonderful.

Defeathering seems like a pain and I'd rather not use dish soap on something I'm going to eat what's the best way to deplume?
I agree, I would not want to use dish soap… I have used wax in the past with great results but they’re running a racket with the price they’re asking for that special blend of “duck wax”.

Now I scald ducks/geese at 160-165 for two minutes and have no problems pulling feathers. I did it manually for a few seasons and now I use a large plucker. I don’t see skin tearing like I think you would if you scalded a chicken at that temp.

It’s crucial to use an object like a potato masher or something to agitate and ruffle feathers while scalding. It helps that water get down to the fuzzy down.

I agree, I would not want to use dish soap… I have used wax in the past with great results but they’re running a racket with the price they’re asking for that special blend of “duck wax”.

Now I scald ducks/geese at 160-165 for two minutes and have no problems pulling feathers. I did it manually for a few seasons and now I use a large plucker. I don’t see skin tearing like I think you would if you scalded a chicken at that temp.

It’s crucial to use an object like a potato masher or something to agitate and ruffle feathers while scalding. It helps that water get down to the fuzzy down.
Thanks for the info. Maybe there will be goose for Christmas if I get to breeding again.

Back
Top Bottom