Medications u should have

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
What medications should u have bout at all times for ur chickens I'm looking for the most effective or the ones use have had that worked the best
Also what r soem brands that I should total avoid

I have done a post like this before but I'm going to do one again

not a med and not sure what you can get in ireland but nutri drench or sav a chick is great stuff, corid is often needed, Vetricyn is also great stuff.

Corid for coccidiosis. Baytril 100 for respiratory infections. AluShield aerosol spray bandage for minor wounds. Normectin for internal parasites. 7 Dust/Garden Dust for external parasites.

This is my go to list that I keep in my computer Notes section. I think I posted this before on a similar post but have recently added a few items. ;)
Chicken First Aid

By Laura Mikulski
Antibiotics:

• Duramycin-10: for respiratory symptoms
  • Corid (amprolium: for coccidia
  • Sulfadimethoxine: for coccidia, use after Corid
  • Tylan: use when symptoms of mycoplasma appear, typically presenting as swelling in the face and eyes and discharge around eyes, nose, and beak
  • Metronidazole— brand Fish Zone from Thomas labs 250mg 1 tab once a day for 5 days. Give Copper Sulfate -1/4 tip per gallon of water to flock once a month
  • *An additional add to Laura's list : Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim tablets [SMZ/TMP] Can be used for respiratory issues and other infections. Works wonders.
Tools:

• Point-tip and slant-tip tweezers
  • Small pair of scissors
  • Superglue: seals lacerations, repairs beaks
  • Nonstick sterile gauze pads
  • Syringe: used for administering liquids, both medicine and nutrient when needed. Keep two on hand, one that measures in 0.1mL increments and a second that measures in 0.5mL increments for larger dosing.
  • Vet Wrap
  • Disposable surgical scalpels
  • Disposable gloves
  • Digital scale: a small digital scale helps provide accurate dosing of powdered medicine.
  • Dog nail clippers: used to trim nails, beaks, and spurs.
  • Medical and waterproof tape
  • Birdy Bootie: one pair is handy to have, used to keep bandages in place and wounds clean.
  • Chicken Saddle: covers wounds from hawk attacks, feather picking, or overly aggressive roosters.
  • Old clean towels: for wrapping stressed birds
  • The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow: invaluable list of symptoms and treatments.
Treating for Parasites:

• MannaPro Poultry Protector: a safe, non-toxic treatment for mites, lice, fleas, and ticks. While you should be dusting the coop with diatomaceous earth and allowing your birds access to dust bathing areas, if the worst should happen and you find an infestation, this is a great treatment option.
  • Sevin Dust: for more serious infestations of mites and lice, apply Sevin Dust to the coop and directly to birds.
  • Piperazine (Wazine): a safe, effective roundworm wormer. When worms are suspected, use this first to kill off all roundworms prior to using a more thorough wormer to avoid overloading the chicken.
  • Fenbendazole (Safe-guard): a safe, effective general-purpose wormer. Use either after Wazine when a large worm load is suspected, or when symptoms are more specific for worms other than roundworms.
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Electo PSP for elimination of mites-spray on hen and in coop
  • * Additional add to Laura's list: Ivermectin injection or pour on
Wound Cleaning and Care:

• Vetericyn: general wound wash
  • WoundSeal powder: fantastic styptic powder that stops blood loss instantly
  • EMT Gel: seals wounds, acts as a scab for larger lacerations
  • Povidone Iodine: strong antiseptic, can be diluted and used to wash over an area such as legs and feet, stains to hide red from blood
  • Blu-Kote: mild antiseptic, use for small wounds to stain the area dark so other birds won’t pick at it
  • Triple antibiotic ointment
  • TricideNeo: marketed as a topical antibiotic for ornamental fish, this produces excellent noninvasive results in bumblefoot treatment
  • Granulex: an incredible antibiotic and debriding agent. Use for festering wounds where tissue is clearly necrotic, such as those associated with flystrike. Use hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment if you can’t find this.
  • *Additional add on to Laura's List: Aquaphor advanced healing ointment
Miscellaneous:

• Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes: use during heat stress, shock, or general illness.
  • Sav-A-Chick Probiotics: use after antibiotics or treating for parasites.
  • Activated charcoal: used when poisoning is suspected, such as when spoiled food is eaten.
  • Rubbing alcohol: for tool sterilization.
  • Poultry Nutri-Drench: provide to birds who have experienced shock or stress, or any bird that is suffering illness.
  • Preparation H: used to treat vent prolapse.
  • Epsom salts: used in foot soaks (in the case of bumblefoot), or if a chicken looks droopy.
  • Liquid calcium: use when a hen is egg-bound.
  • VetRx: this is essentially the same as Vick’s Vaporub; use in conjunction with treatment for respiratory illness.
  • List of supplies and expiration dates: write out what you have, what it’s used for, and any expiration dates to make things easier during emergencies.
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Miconazole 7 cream for fungal infection or crop issues
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Rooster Booster vitamins

I might have copy and pasted that:p
This is my go to list that I keep in my computer Notes section. I think I posted this before on a similar post but have recently added a few items. ;)
Chicken First Aid

By Laura Mikulski
Antibiotics:

• Corid (amprolium: for coccidia
  • Sulfadimethoxine: for coccidia, use after Corid
  • Tylan: use when symptoms of mycoplasma appear, typically presenting as swelling in the face and eyes and discharge around eyes, nose, and beak
  • Metronidazole— brand Fish Zone from Thomas labs 250mg 1 tab once a day for 5 days. Give Copper Sulfate -1/4 tip per gallon of water to flock once a month
  • *An additional add to Laura's list : Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim tablets [SMZ/TMP] Can be used for respiratory issues and other infections. Works wonders.
Tools:

• Point-tip and slant-tip tweezers
  • Small pair of scissors
  • Superglue: seals lacerations, repairs beaks
  • Nonstick sterile gauze pads
  • Syringe: used for administering liquids, both medicine and nutrient when needed. Keep two on hand, one that measures in 0.1mL increments and a second that measures in 0.5mL increments for larger dosing.
  • Vet Wrap
  • Disposable surgical scalpels
  • Disposable gloves
  • Digital scale: a small digital scale helps provide accurate dosing of powdered medicine.
  • Dog nail clippers: used to trim nails, beaks, and spurs.
  • Medical and waterproof tape
  • Birdy Bootie: one pair is handy to have, used to keep bandages in place and wounds clean.
  • Chicken Saddle: covers wounds from hawk attacks, feather picking, or overly aggressive roosters.
  • Old clean towels: for wrapping stressed birds
  • The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow: invaluable list of symptoms and treatments.
Treating for Parasites:

• MannaPro Poultry Protector: a safe, non-toxic treatment for mites, lice, fleas, and ticks. While you should be dusting the coop with diatomaceous earth and allowing your birds access to dust bathing areas, if the worst should happen and you find an infestation, this is a great treatment option.
  • Sevin Dust: for more serious infestations of mites and lice, apply Sevin Dust to the coop and directly to birds.
  • Piperazine (Wazine): a safe, effective roundworm wormer. When worms are suspected, use this first to kill off all roundworms prior to using a more thorough wormer to avoid overloading the chicken.
  • Fenbendazole (Safe-guard): a safe, effective general-purpose wormer. Use either after Wazine when a large worm load is suspected, or when symptoms are more specific for worms other than roundworms.
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Electo PSP for elimination of mites-spray on hen and in coop
  • * Additional add to Laura's list: Ivermectin injection or pour on
Wound Cleaning and Care:

• Vetericyn: general wound wash
  • WoundSeal powder: fantastic styptic powder that stops blood loss instantly
  • EMT Gel: seals wounds, acts as a scab for larger lacerations
  • Povidone Iodine: strong antiseptic, can be diluted and used to wash over an area such as legs and feet, stains to hide red from blood
  • Blu-Kote: mild antiseptic, use for small wounds to stain the area dark so other birds won’t pick at it
  • Triple antibiotic ointment
  • TricideNeo: marketed as a topical antibiotic for ornamental fish, this produces excellent noninvasive results in bumblefoot treatment
  • Granulex: an incredible antibiotic and debriding agent. Use for festering wounds where tissue is clearly necrotic, such as those associated with flystrike. Use hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment if you can’t find this.
  • *Additional add on to Laura's List: Aquaphor advanced healing ointment
Miscellaneous:

• Sav-A-Chick Electrolytes: use during heat stress, shock, or general illness.
  • Sav-A-Chick Probiotics: use after antibiotics or treating for parasites.
  • Activated charcoal: used when poisoning is suspected, such as when spoiled food is eaten.
  • Rubbing alcohol: for tool sterilization.
  • Poultry Nutri-Drench: provide to birds who have experienced shock or stress, or any bird that is suffering illness.
  • Preparation H: used to treat vent prolapse.
  • Epsom salts: used in foot soaks (in the case of bumblefoot), or if a chicken looks droopy.
  • Liquid calcium: use when a hen is egg-bound.
  • VetRx: this is essentially the same as Vick’s Vaporub; use in conjunction with treatment for respiratory illness.
  • List of supplies and expiration dates: write out what you have, what it’s used for, and any expiration dates to make things easier during emergencies.
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Miconazole 7 cream for fungal infection or crop issues
  • *Additional add to Laura's list: Rooster Booster vitamins

Since you are in Ireland, brand names will vary. I would keep a vitamin /electrolyte tonic or powder to add to water or to give a few drops of with a very weak, sick, or dehydrated chicken. Amprollium is good for treating coccidiosis, and you may find it as Harkers Coxoid or Amprol where you live.

Antiseptic, such as chlorhexidene or povidone-iodine are good to have, as well as an antibiotic or antiseptic ointment which you may or may not be able to get locally. Coconut oil has several uses on skin conditions or for an impacted crop. Epsom salts may be helpful, added to warm water for a soak, in cases of scaly leg mites, prolapsed vent, or other reasons.

Antibiotics in general are controversial, and many people do not want to use them in their egg laying chickens. But if you need one in an emergency, amoxicillin can be used to treat wound infection or in reproductive disorders or infections.

Back
Top Bottom