Missing Chicken, Possible Mystery Predator

MixFlocksRule13

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
No pleasant posts here. Just a flock of 5 that may have went down to 4

Some time last week (I was out of town and had my grandma taking care of the hens), my Ancona hen Aretha went missing while left out of the coop (I told them to keep turn out limited to while somebody was present at the property, but some people don't want to listen). We have seen no signs of her anywhere, no neighbors have seen her. Normally I would think a predator got her if it weren't for our surroundings

We are surrounded by neighborhoods. Our 50 acres, surrounded by 2 neighborhoods and the frontage road. No predators show up, except for dogs, cats, and hawks. Our hawks are too small, however. All the cats here are our own, and they were introduced to the chickens at a very young age. They have never shown any predatory behaviors toward the chickens. That leaves a dog...

Now, I have checked the property and alerted neighbors. No signs of her anywhere. Nobody has seen any blood. However, I did find a suspicious pile of feathers in a hay cart

IMG_20220511_204418030.jpg

This isn't how it originally was. All the feathers were there in that pile, and they were all pointing a similar direction, if I recall. Don't take my word for it, though, I was in a panic and don't remember entirely. When I saw it, I stirred it around to look for blood. And nothing. However, I did find this...

IMG_20220511_204438734.jpg

IMG_20220511_204445546.jpg

A clump of feathers amongst the pile. They're all attached at the ends. I haven't seen chickens molt like this. I don't know if you have. But I think this was pulled off of her (I am about 90% sure these feathers are Aretha's. They may be Pearl's, but she is a Plymouth Barred Rock and they don't look like Rock feathers)

So what do you think? Missing Chicken or mystery predator? I'd think predator, but if these feathers are the site of the crime, then that leaves us with about nothing. No dogs could come in here (as far as we know), no hawks could come in here, and our cats are still territorial towards other cats (ruling out any strays or neighbor cats), but nice to to the hens (ruling out themselves)

I'm sorry, it looks like either a hawk or an Owl. Where was the hay cart? The only reason I don't say a coyote or Fox is that it's in the hay cart.
The cart was in the barn and has been in the same spot for months. We don't have a tall barn, and the doors stay closed when people aren't there. There has never been a hawk or owl in the barn as long as we have owned it

The cart was in the barn and has been in the same spot for months. We don't have a tall barn, and the doors stay closed when people aren't there. There has never been a hawk or owl in the barn as long as we have owned it

We have seen a fox around, but only twice last winter. Nobody even near us has seen one since.
Doesn't mean you don't have one now.

I honestly didn't think hawks were getting my chickens either until I saw it with my own eyes. But the clump of feathers, I did have a rooster pull a clump like that out of one of my chickens he was chasing off of her neck. It could be a possum or raccoons?

I honestly didn't think hawks were getting my chickens either until I saw it with my own eyes. But the clump of feathers, I did have a rooster pull a clump like that out of one of my chickens he was chasing off of her neck. It could be a possum or raccoons?
Sorry but Coons and possums don't carry them off and you still haven't found a corpse. Hawks can't carry off a standard size adult hen and dogs will kill the whole flock and leave dead bodies scattered everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom