Moldy Egg?

Nemesis Prime

Chirping
Apr 17, 2024
I've hatched quite a few eggs but never in all my life have I seen mold (?) growing in an egg with a baby. I unfortunately did not get a picture, but the "mold" was in chunks and was blueish green, it was around the aircell and the duckling's bellybutton, the duckling has since passed and I'm wondering if the moldy egg could've been the cause? He had a red and inflamed bellybutton, and he had a hard time balancing. I kept him in a cup for a day and he learned how to walk, but he was always wobbly and had a skittery sort of walk, he didn't grow much (probably because he didn't eat much, I had to dribble water, food, and nutritional yeast on the side of his bill to make him eat) and in the end he fell over and before I noticed he had aspirated some vomit and passed soon after. Has anyone seen an egg go bad or grow mold with a baby inside?

Perhaps it was a bacterial infection. Duck eggs are prone to those.
Yeah that would make sense. I put iodine on the bellybutton and gave him an antibiotic but he just never really seemed normal. The eggs my friend was given were absolutely horrendous, poop caked onto them and hardened like cement, about three of them exploded during incubation, and they smelled to high heaven by day 7. A dozen of them were found in a secret nest and the lady just threw them in for free, they were probably too old and nasty to be incubated, but so many of them were covered in poop, I figured why not give the old ones a chance too since the crusty ones weren't likely to make it.
6 out of 28 eggs hatched. 4 pipped but never zipped, the last one I helped out but then it died anyways. I'll never incubate such disgusting eggs again.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. No egg is good enough to go into the incubator unless it's good enough to go into the fridge. Is the way I heard it. Please don't forget to do total disinfect on your incubator before your next batch. Personally I would then do a vinegarwater rinse also before setting the eggs again. Good luck next time!

Sorry you had such a bad experience. No egg is good enough to go into the incubator unless it's good enough to go into the fridge. Is the way I heard it. Please don't forget to do total disinfect on your incubator before your next batch. Personally I would then do a vinegarwater rinse also before setting the eggs again. Good luck next time!
That's good advice.
I did a dawn and alcohol scrub down. Not a stain, fleck, or particle was left :)

I've hatched quite a few eggs but never in all my life have I seen mold (?) growing in an egg with a baby. I unfortunately did not get a picture, but the "mold" was in chunks and was blueish green, it was around the aircell and the duckling's bellybutton, the duckling has since passed and I'm wondering if the moldy egg could've been the cause? He had a red and inflamed bellybutton, and he had a hard time balancing. I kept him in a cup for a day and he learned how to walk, but he was always wobbly and had a skittery sort of walk, he didn't grow much (probably because he didn't eat much, I had to dribble water, food, and nutritional yeast on the side of his bill to make him eat) and in the end he fell over and before I noticed he had aspirated some vomit and passed soon after. Has anyone seen an egg go bad or grow mold with a baby inside?
How long did it take for him to pass after he aspirated? Asking because I’m trying to find answers to something I just went through with a duckling about a week old.

Back
Top Bottom