My 12 week old Buff O. died last night- what to do next?

grammy

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
I only have two chickens because of city code and my Buff Orpington died last night for no apparent reason. She was fine when we tucked her in her "chick loft" and was dead by morning. My concern now is my other chicken, Lucy. She is beside herself and lonely. I'm planning to get new chicks tomorrow but they will be only a few days old and will need to grow awhile before I can put them in the coop with Lucy. (I may buy 2 more in case of another death.) Will Lucy be okay being alone for all that time? Should I look for older pullets? I wanted tame birds for my grandchildren so I am thinking I should get babies again. My Buff, Clara, was so sweet and it is such a loss to be without her. I would love any advice anyone can give. Thank you.

You should look for another Buff. my two are the friendliest of all of my chicks. You should look into all the farms near you. You can also look for a vet in your area that cares for farm animals and they might be able to help you find someone who can help you get lucy a buddy. Good luck Grammy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom