My chicken is acting weird

makenzie_lucas

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
So yesterday, I noticed my chicken acting weird. She seemed disoriented and when I tried to give her some bread, she was pecking at it but her beak never actually touched it. Today, she was stumbling on the stairs of their coop. I got her down and she walked but she would stop and look confused then walk a little more then stop again. When I tried to give her treats again, she would look but she wouldn’t peck at it. I even held it up right to her but she just stood there looking confused. When I got her out of the coop just now to try to drink some water, I set her down and she just kinda layed there. I picked her up and sat her back down again and she was moving her to the right. I straightened it and dipped her beak in water and she slowly moved her head to the right again. She’s not really moving her eyes either. It’s super weird, but I’m afraid something is seriously wrong. Any idea what it might be or how to help her?

Hello, and welcome to BYC. It may be neurological caused by an injury or it may be Mereks disease.
Can you get a photo of each of her eyes?
Mereks can sometimes cause the eyes to look grayish or cause irregular shaped pupils.
Have you brought any new adult chickens into your flock within the last few months?

So yesterday, I noticed my chicken acting weird. She seemed disoriented and when I tried to give her some bread, she was pecking at it but her beak never actually touched it. Today, she was stumbling on the stairs of their coop. I got her down and she walked but she would stop and look confused then walk a little more then stop again. When I tried to give her treats again, she would look but she wouldn’t peck at it. I even held it up right to her but she just stood there looking confused. When I got her out of the coop just now to try to drink some water, I set her down and she just kinda layed there. I picked her up and sat her back down again and she was moving her to the right. I straightened it and dipped her beak in water and she slowly moved her head to the right again. She’s not really moving her eyes either. It’s super weird, but I’m afraid something is seriously wrong. Any idea what it might be or how to help her?
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen, her poop and of her eyes?

How old is she?
What do you feed, including treats?
When was her last egg if she's of laying age?

Work on hydration, once drinking, offer her wet mushy feed.

Have you been with your hen this am? Is she acting any better? Has she taken some fluids or electrolyte water? It is good that you have noticed something wrong. Is she low in the pecking order or possibly kept from food and water by the others? Could she have been injured by a rooster or other hens? How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Was she vaccinated for anything such as Mareks? Look at each eye and tell us if the color is normal, and if her black pupils are round and equal. Pictures and videos really help us. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or a similar site with a link posted here.

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your hen, her poop and of her eyes?

How old is she?
What do you feed, including treats?
When was her last egg if she's of laying age?

Work on hydration, once drinking, offer her wet mushy feed.
I can take a picture of her and her eyes, poop might be a challenge since I have several chickens.

Her age isn’t 100% known because I didn’t raise her from a chick. Most likely 3-5. I give them a mix of layer crumble, layer pellets, and scratch feed. For treats, I give them meal worms, veggies (cucumbers and carrots mostly), and white bread. She hasn’t layed in a year-ish.

I’ve only tried a little, but she isn’t drinking. She’s in this weird daze all the time.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. It may be neurological caused by an injury or it may be Mereks disease.
Can you get a photo of each of her eyes?
Mereks can sometimes cause the eyes to look grayish or cause irregular shaped pupils.
Have you brought any new adult chickens into your flock within the last few months?
I’m really afraid of Meret’s disease. Isn’t it highly contagious? No new chickens have been introduced since August/September. I can take a picture of her eyes when I get home.

Have you been with your hen this am? Is she acting any better? Has she taken some fluids or electrolyte water? It is good that you have noticed something wrong. Is she low in the pecking order or possibly kept from food and water by the others? Could she have been injured by a rooster or other hens? How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Was she vaccinated for anything such as Mareks? Look at each eye and tell us if the color is normal, and if her black pupils are round and equal. Pictures and videos really help us. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or a similar site with a link posted here.
I haven’t been with her today but I had my brother check on her this morning and he said she was just laying in the hen house by herself. She hasn’t drank much water to my knowledge. She’s at the top of the pecking order. I have a rooster but he’s not that mean and she usually stands up to him. She’s 3-5. She’s not laying anymore. No vaccinations to my knowledge, I didn’t raise her from a chick. I’m gonna say probably no vaccines. I can upload pictures when I get home.

I can’t figure out how to upload the picture. Her eyes aren’t gray, but her pupils are kind of big. She can’t stand up today. I’m just going to keep her comfortable until she passes. Poor girl!

You can add images in comments with this button

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_093503_Kiwi Browser.png
    Screenshot_20240501_093503_Kiwi Browser.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom