My few hours old chick is bleeding from his bum

kbeare

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Marshville, NC
My three kids and I have been incubating a clutch of eggs. This is the second chick that has come out of the shell with a little blood spot on the bum that leaves blood spots all over the incubator. They are just spots, not gushing, but none the less spots. The last chick that did this lasted about 36 hours before dying. It never seemed to dry out all the way and never really "acted right".
Is there anything I can do or is it just a defect from that particular hen? (both sick chicks are black) We have 4 other chicks (3 yellow and one black) that have survived and are thriving.
I am new to all of this - my first incubator and chicks. Any advice will be GREAT!
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
So where exactly is the naval? Is it on its bum? If so it will absorb up?
This is very fascinating! My 6 year old will love the info. Thanks!

Last edited:
define bum........ if its the butt this might not be normal. i mean bleeding from the butt .never saw that befor.

Yes, I do mean the butt. We had a bad egg explode soon (like minutes) after the chick hatched so when I took it out to clean up that very smelly mess I noticed a small protrusion from his butt - almost like what I would expect a hemeroid to look like. It had a drop of blood on it. After that is when I began to notice the blood drops all over the incubator as he moves around. it is just like the last chick.
Any ideas?

Ok. The chick will have one opening right under it's tail nub. That is the vent, if you blow on it, it will move. Down lower, about half an inch is another rough spot where their naval is, it may pulsate when the chick peeps loudly. The blood spot you see is the naval, not the vent, it is the equivalent to our belly buttons. It will be about 24 hours before anything comes out of the vent.

That is called a rough navel. Most likely caused from temps in incubator too high and chick hatching early or from humidity too high during incubation. There is nothing you can do but keep it dry and don't let it stick to anything that will make it pull or let other chicks peck at it. Their navel is directly underneath their vent thats why people think it is their butt bleeding. Don't try to put antibiotic ointment on it because you want it to dry out asap. Hope that helps!!!!!

Iodine can help on a wet navel, especially if a bad egg exploded and might have gotten bacteria on it. It will help dry it out, and will also help prevent infection, very important. I hope your baby makes it!

Thank you for all of your help. The chick made it through the night and seems to be doing better. There are no fresh blood drops and he appeared to have a dry navel when I turned the other eggs in the bator.
We will pray he makes it through the day!
I have the temp set at about 100 or 101 degrees. I have water in the little spots for water. Should I adjust the temp lower since this is the second chick that seemed to come out possibly early?
Thanks again!
kbeare

Back
Top Bottom