New Here

Lady K

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Hello all! So my family and I are in Missouri, and almost done building our coop. So, next step is finding our girls! My husband is going with an Oprington for his pick, our son is torn between Easter egger or Red sex link, me, I am torn between Plymouth Rock, Australorp. We want docile and good layers. What would ya all suggest? Thanks, looking forward to you're alls suggestions

Everyone has their own opinions - Black australorps are good layers, as are sex links (red, black, etc.), easter eggers lay various colors of eggs, Buff orpingtons are generally docile and tend to go broody (hens want to sit and hatch out eggs). I think you have picked some good varieties and hope you will post photos once you get your chicks. Welcome to the flock.

Orpingtons are a great choice! I love them, especially lavenders
big_smile.png
. Easter eggers are great also, they lay beautiful eggs and are very docile. I have no experience with red sex links but would advise your son that he go with the easter egger because of the eggs colors, and the beautiful and unique feather patterns the eater eggers have- everyone is different! I would also pick the plymouth rock over the Australorp because of the beautiful black and white feathers and the great egg productivity. My plymouth rock is my best layer and is very spunky and curious. As drumstick diva said, everyone has their own opinions so I am sure whatever you pick will be great choices.

Good luck to you with your first batch of chickens and also
welcome-byc.gif
. Have fun on here, it will soon be an addiction
wink.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had all of the breeds on your list over the years and unless your son specifically wants the colored eggs of the Easter Easter, I would go with the Red Sex Link which are hardy, egg laying machines. My Red Sex Links, along with my Black Sex Links, have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Between the Barred Rock and Australorp, I would personally go with the Australorp. Although both breeds are generally docile, my Australorps have been a little calmer and gentler (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and better layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Thanks everyone, loved reading everyone's suggestions. It's nice to have a place to go for help and suggestions. My husband was happy to hear that his choice is a good pick. My son, is going with the easter egger (because of their unique look and their egg production (he spent alot of time researching, lol) and I think im going with the Plymouth Rock.just love their patterns and color.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm a fan of the Easter Egger chicken. Mine has been gentle and a very good layer. She lays lovely green eggs and has very pretty coloring. One interesting thing about the Easter Egger is that every bird looks different! They come in so many different colors and shades of color that you can really have a lovely flock.

Good luck with whatever breeds you decide on! All of your choices are very good and you should end up with a productive and docile flock.

Back
Top Bottom