Normal Poop?

Yes I did have sick birds. I started with 7, 2 died because I over heated them, figurd the temp out. One was sneezing when we got her, was told to give them Amoxy-Tylon. Day I got the meds in she died. Then the rest started the sneezing and all, so gave started them on a round of the Amoxy-Tylon (7 days). Next day another one died. Gave them 2 days of electrolytes/probioticsday after they finished antibiotics, then another one died. The last three were not getting better, a little, but still sick, so I started the 3 left on Baytril. They cleared up and have been getting better each day. These 3 left will survive the respiratory illness. And yes. Flushed eyes day they started swelling up, used the eye antibiotic, that starts with a T, all while doing the Amoxy-Tylon, and electrolytes/probiotics and then the baytril. The days on the electrolytes/probiotics I put Vetrx on them. But the Baytril knocked the respiratory infection out. Only one has her eye almost 100%. Actually tonight it looked better then even this morning. Thinking she should be back to 100% completely in the am. They were bad off, but much better. Then this morning I saw the poop in the picture. That is why I worried. I have done everything possible to save these Girls, and think today was the day they would be all good, then see the poop. So got worried and all freaked out again. I did add corid to their water this afternoon, and will check in the morning their poop. Hopefully no bloody or red stuff, like this morning. But as far as the illness, they are better. They were weezing, sneezing, coughing, Diarrhea, whole nine yards, swollen, cloudy, eyes shut. All that is gone. They are pecking, scratching, eating, drinking, pooping, except that poo with the red in it. And it was only one pile this morning, no more during the day. Just want to be proactive, and get on top of anything before it gets bad, like I just dealt with. Was a stressful month, to say the least.

I them from a hatchery, talked to them, said all their birds are fine. They were not vaccinated. I am a first-time chick Mom and had no idea they would be so hard to care for. My next girls will be vaccinated.

This is the progress of her eyes in the last couple of days. Today they were even better. But a week ago they were swollen shut. So this is a major improvement from last week. The other Girls are 100%.

Attachments

• 20240429_133813.jpg
    20240429_133813.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240429_133341.jpg
    20240429_133341.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 4
Yes I did have sick birds. I started with 7, 2 died because I over heated them, figurd the temp out. One was sneezing when we got her, was told to give them Amoxy-Tylon. Day I got the meds in she died. Then the rest started the sneezing and all, so gave started them on a round of the Amoxy-Tylon (7 days). Next day another one died. Gave them 2 days of electrolytes/probioticsday after they finished antibiotics, then another one died. The last three were not getting better, a little, but still sick, so I started the 3 left on Baytril. They cleared up and have been getting better each day. These 3 left will survive the respiratory illness. And yes. Flushed eyes day they started swelling up, used the eye antibiotic, that starts with a T, all while doing the Amoxy-Tylon, and electrolytes/probiotics and then the baytril. The days on the electrolytes/probiotics I put Vetrx on them. But the Baytril knocked the respiratory infection out. Only one has her eye almost 100%. Actually tonight it looked better then even this morning. Thinking she should be back to 100% completely in the am. They were bad off, but much better. Then this morning I saw the poop in the picture. That is why I worried. I have done everything possible to save these Girls, and think today was the day they would be all good, then see the poop. So got worried and all freaked out again. I did add corid to their water this afternoon, and will check in the morning their poop. Hopefully no bloody or red stuff, like this morning. But as far as the illness, they are better. They were weezing, sneezing, coughing, Diarrhea, whole nine yards, swollen, cloudy, eyes shut. All that is gone. They are pecking, scratching, eating, drinking, pooping, except that poo with the red in it. And it was only one pile this morning, no more during the day. Just want to be proactive, and get on top of anything before it gets bad, like I just dealt with. Was a stressful month, to say the least.

I them from a hatchery, talked to them, said all their birds are fine. They were not vaccinated. I am a first-time chick Mom and had no idea they would be so hard to care for. My next girls will be vaccinated.
Most major commercial hatcheries do not really have any issues with respiratory disease. It can happen, but they will not stay in business long...The most common vaccine offered by major hatcheries is the Marek's vaccine, there's pros/cons to having that done, you'd have to research and determine if it's something you want or not.

Small breeders (hatcheries?) usually do not vaccinate for anything. Perhaps for Marek's but it can be cost prohibitive.

Looks like they are healing up. Hard to know what respiratory disease your are dealing with. Probably Mycoplasma which can be common. Amox-Tyl would be somewhat effective in treating MG, but just the Tyl(Tylosin) part of that combo since MG has no cell wall. Since Baytril seemed to help, then likely MG, it's a very strong antibiotic to give to little chicks, but sometimes you do what's necessary.

IF you are dealing with MG, then they will be carriers for life, so keep that in mind. Do some research, but keeping a closed flock would be a good idea. It really stinks that's for sure.

It was a small hatchery that didn't offer vaccination. I didn't realize how important it would be until I got them home. It has been a learning experience. That is for sure. Hate I lost four, I got really attached to them quickly. But I was bound and determined after losing them to save the rest. Kept watch on them constantly to see what I may need to do next to keep them alive. Thankfully it has worked out.

So, even adding vaccinated pullets or laying hens with these girls, wouldn't be wise?

I think I may have a Roo, and the other two will lay brown and white eggs. Was hoping to get some olive and blue egg layers.

Is this a Roo? Today it looked like red waddles coming In. Didn't get any pics of them today. These are from a couple of days ago. Was trying to get pics of their eye progress. This one was 100% today, completely. He/she had swollen eyes as well a week ago.

Attachments

• 20240429_182724.jpg
    20240429_182724.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240429_182728.jpg
    20240429_182728.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240429_123645.jpg
    20240429_123645.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 3
It was a small hatchery that didn't offer vaccination. I didn't realize how important it would be until I got them home. It has been a learning experience. That is for sure. Hate I lost four, I got really attached to them quickly. But I was bound and determined after losing them to save the rest. Kept watch on them constantly to see what I may need to do next to keep them alive. Thankfully it has worked out.

So, even adding vaccinated pullets or laying hens with these girls, wouldn't be wise?

I think I may have a Roo, and the other two will lay brown and white eggs. Was hoping to get some olive and blue egg layers.

Is this a Roo? Today it looked like red waddles coming In. Didn't get any pics of them today. These are from a couple of days ago. Was trying to get pics of their eye progress. This one was 100% today, completely. He/she had swollen eyes as well a week ago.
Could be a cockerel, I'm not very good at deciding gender😂
You can ask on the what gender forum if you wish, there's some folks there that know their stuff.

Yeah, you're likely not going to find anyone who gives vaccines for respiratory illness. Pricey and usually not necessary.

The Marek's vaccine is offered by major hatcheries, it doesn't stop infection from the virus, but can help prevent formation of tumors. Birds still get sick, so...That's up to you to research and decide for yourself.

As for adding more birds to these...you do risk the others becoming sick as well. All would be considered carriers depending on the disease you're dealing with. Getting some testing may help you determine how you want to proceed. Otherwise, keep a closed flock.

Thanks. Think I will find a poultry vet somewhere to find our for sure what I am dealing with. Appreciate you info more than you know!! 😊

Back
Top Bottom