Not sure i like premier1 electric fence

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, everyone! I have the fencing that is 12' spacing, which is way too far apart. I bought extra poles to help hold the fence up. It's raining now and it's shorting out. I will go unplug it in a bit and close the hens anyway.
I much like the idea of landscape fabric... Roundup is a serious chemical, a soapbox of mine and not something I would use.

I'll update later on once I've tweaked it a bit.

I would really try to work these kinks out...I think the fence is worth it. I also bought the one with the poles closer together. That helps a ton. If it is in a permanent spot - or you don't care about killing the grass...you could always use baking soda instead of round up. It will change the PH in soil and kill the grass from what I understand. I have disconnected the bottom strand on my fence...it was just way too low to the ground and constantly shorted out. I haven't had problems with grass shorting it since then.

Good luck!

I have the same fence and it needs serious reinforcement at the corners. I set metal T-posts and tie the fiberglass posts in the net to those with hay twine. Not even the plastic step-in posts at TSC will work, they just bend. Neither does a diagonal line from the top of the fiberglass post -- it will just bow.

I've also had to set it up by myself, which is no fun. It would be much easier with two people.

-Wendy

We've been using the Premiere poultry netting for about nine years now, just love it. I agree, you have to add more poles in, and you do have to keep on top of moving it and mowing (especially in spring, oh my, April really is the cruelest month here in Kentucky!)

But I love the stuff, just love it. We have about five lengths strung together for our largest pen, wouldn't be without it! We even have two sections put together in the back now to keep the dogs in.
wink.png

Here it is keeping my Buckeyes and Leghorns in the "Big Coop" pen:

The suggestion to put little sticks as to prop up the bottom of the fence works great! I plan on rotating pastures so I will be able to keep the grass mowed down weekly.

My girls won't even come out of their coop now lol. Geez. Imight be a terrible chicken momma lol!

Ok so got the extra poles put in the fence and it is MUCH better. No sagging at all. Spacing is 6' now. The poles were $3 something and well worth it. If I get another section I will do the same thing, get the 12' spacing and extra poles.

One of the hens saw me working on putting in the poles... Like I said they won't come out, but she flew straight to me.. Right over the fence! . Very interesting she flew to me! Next task was wing trimming!

I have the Poultry Plus netting for one of my chicken yards. It's still looking brand new after 5 years. One of my dogs got zapped and wouldn't come out to the barn for awhile, so I just leashed him, tied the leash to my belt, and made him come with me and walk by the fence. He eventually got over the anxiety. I've had to add a few posts for sags, but the fence has held up through some nasty storms. I don't think there's anything better than a well built permanent fence, but it is designed for easy removal, and the netting keeps the predators away for sure. The one problem is the highest is 4'. That won't work for lighter, more flighty breeds. I had a Bantam Wyandotte get his leg tangled in it once and was getting electrocuted. Thank God I was there to quickly get him out of it. It is low impedance for the sake of poultry, but that doesn't mean it is 100% safe.

Back
Top Bottom