Oegb Isabel over oegb spangles and porcelain questions

ChicksnMore

😉
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Arizona
I read somewhere on here that porcelain is lavender over Millie fluer and that oegb spangles are based on different genes....more about mottled then spangled. I was thinking I could breed my Isabel oegb to my spangles and get porcelain, then I read and thought I couldn't. I was out looking over my birds and the spangled definitely have black as well as white tips, though not so well in the breast.

So now I'm wondering again if a cross of Isabel and spangled would give porcelain down the road. If not, what would the color from that cross be called?

What exactly is the difference between Millie and spangled in oegb?

I mean down the road. Wouldn't the f1 generation be split to lavender and split to the spangle pattern and produce a percentage of lavender spangled birds?

My main question though is what the difference is between Millie and oegb spangled. I know Millie requires the Columbian gene and I'm guessing the spangle carrys a wild type for base color...but is there a difference in the genes that create the pattern of black and white tips?

And if porcelain is what we call lavender over Millie fluer, does lavender over oegb spangled have a name?

I mean down the road. Wouldn't the f1 generation be split to lavender and split to the spangle pattern and produce a percentage of lavender spangled birds?

My main question though is what the difference is between Millie and oegb spangled. I know Millie requires the Columbian gene and I'm guessing the spangle carrys a wild type for base color...but is there a difference in the genes that create the pattern of black and white tips?

And if porcelain is what we call lavender over Millie fluer, does lavender over oegb spangled have a name?
So spangled lavender?
Lavender crossed to spangled will be black birds, I think, I don't think you get anything else in the following generation. There's a thread called 'Ask Nicalandidia" Try posting there, that's were the genetic wizards hang out.

I believe that Spangled oegb are duckwing based with mottling, mahogany (not actually sure about the mahogany) and “recessive black”, a stand in word for a gene that clearly darkens the plumage.
Mille fleur and porcelain are partridge, Columbian, and mottled. (Porcelain having lavender.)
So anyway, if you tried getting a porcelain by crossing isabel and spangled the best you could do is probably duckwing, Columbian, mahogany, lavender, and mottled, which would have more of the duckwing pattern than the even yellow ground color of porcelain. It would still have the grey then white spangles though.

I've been trying to look up the genes behind oegb spangled and having a hard time finding much info on them. Add to that how little I know about chicken genetics and I get confused easily. Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom