Overthinking it? Feeding

2150MormonRd

Chirping
Nov 9, 2020
Maybe I am overthinking it, but Im in a struggle over feeding my nine girls. I used to feed them a non GMO whole grain feed from Homestead Harvest. They loved it and did really well through the winter on it. But its expensive and it must be shipped to me. Its nearly 50$ for 40 lbs and doesn't last a full month.
I switched them to New Country Organics cracked layer which is a lot less for 50lbs and organic. Its just really really dusty. I waste a lot of it because it clogs their feeder. So I switched them once again to the whole grain New Country layer. The grains are very large and I now have to soak it to get them to eat well which is a real pain because its messy and time consuming. I'm frustrated.
The girls free range and the grass has greened up a lot in the last month...maybe that is an issue too.
My Easter Eggers are laying thin shelled, calcium deposited eggs for a month now. They break when you whisper around them. I've given them oyster shell for the same amount of time with no improvement. Everyone else is just fine. And my Bielefelder who is 10 mo lays small eggs. She is nearly 9 lbs!!! She's supposed to be laying jumbos and I'm worried she isn't getting proper nutrition. She's been laying for 4 months now and her 55 Flowery Hen buddy who is younger and smaller, lays eggs twice the size!
I just need some advice. Am I over thinking things here? I just want them to be fed well organically and have the nutrition they need with out breaking the bank and fiddling with the feed so much. Maybe I just need a different feeder. IDK....

Advice? Maybe just stop overthinking?

GAUA2.0.jpg

What organic brands are available at your local stores? If you can avoid having feed shipped to you, that'll cut costs right there.

If you prefer to feed whole grain feeds you really should serve it wet or fermented, or they're not eating an optimally balanced diet as they'll pick out favorite grains, or skip eating the fines that contain the vitamins and protein.

Back
Top Bottom