Oxytetracycline for treating coccidiosis?

michaelmanney

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 9, 2012
Pretty sure that I have a 5 week old chick that just died from coccidiosis. She was lethargic and had blood in her stool. I now have a second that is acting lethargic as well but haven't noticed the blood in the stool yet. The guy at the farm and feed store gave me oxytetracycline when I told him I thought it was cocci. But none of the posts here seem to indicate it is any good against cocci, in fact a few recommend against it. Any help on this would be great.

Oxytetracycline will not treat Coccidiosis; it is an antibiotic, for treating bacterial diseases, whereas Coccidosis is caused by protozoa. You need Corid (Amprolium) or Sulmet to treat it.

Oxytetracycline will not treat Coccidiosis; it is an antibiotic, for treating bacterial diseases, whereas Coccidosis is caused by protozoa. You need Corid (Amprolium) or Sulmet to treat it.

The Merck veterinary manual lists Oxytetracycline as a treatment for cocci and gives the dosages for chickens of varoius ages. I'm having to use it because no farm supply within 60 miles or more had Corid or Sulmet yesterday. I'm also putting Cayenne in their food. If they have e coli along with cocci, Oxytetracycline will cure that too. They've improved dramatically since I dipped their beaks in the medicated water and got them to drink it. I'll still try to find Corid today at the stores that were closed yesterday.

Tetracyclines work by inhibiting the synthesis of proteins in bacteria. Though ConPollos said that oxytetracycline is listed as a treatment for cocci (which is possible), I'd have to lean towards Wyandottes7's advice of using corid or Sulmet which is specifically for the treatment of cocci.
Sorry about your chick :(

Tetracyclines work by inhibiting the synthesis of proteins in bacteria. Though ConPollos said that oxytetracycline is listed as a treatment for cocci (which is possible), I'd have to lean towards Wyandottes7's advice of using corid or Sulmet which is specifically for the treatment of cocci. 

Thank you, she was my friendliest and prettiest EE, blue with peach cape, from Cackle.

My local small farm supply is open today and I bought Corid powder. I'm going to mix 1/2 teaspoon per gallon based on Googling research for dosage.

Last edited:

Thank you, she was my friendliest and prettiest EE, blue with peach cape, from Cackle.

My local small farm supply is open today and I bought Corid powder. I'm going to mix 1/2 teaspoon per gallon based on Googling research for dosage.

Trust me, the Corid powder dose is is *not* 1/2 teaspoon, it's 1.5 teaspoons for a severe outbreak or 3/4 teaspoon for a moderate outbreak. I have confirmed this dose with the mfg, have done the math several ways and I have weighed the powder on an accurate gram scale.

The 1/2 teaspoon dose came from a thread where someone did some flawed calculations and no one bothered to double check it.

-Kathy

Just to clarify, we're talking about the 20% amprolium powder?

I just started treating my flock 2 days ago using 1/2 tsp per gallon. Should I start over or add a day?

I wouldn't call it a severe outbreak. No other chicken is acting sick. I just had one that started acting funny. She was isolating herself from the flock and pacing one side of the pen. Still was eating and drinking. By the next day, she was just standing in the corner where she was pacing before. I separated her and she died overnight. I can only guess that the 4 new chicks that I introduced this spring may have had a strain that the others hadn't adapted to. I got them from the feed store at less than a week old and introduced them to the flock at 8 weeks but they did get some field trips out to different parts of the yard before moving to the pen. Also its been between hot and dry and humid, monsoon mud pit here.

My plan of attack is to give the flock a corid treatment followed by worming. Wazine17 first and then Safeguard for goats.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, we're talking about the 20% amprolium powder?

I just started treating my flock 2 days ago using 1/2 tsp per gallon. Should I start over or add a day?

I wouldn't call it a severe outbreak. No other chicken is acting sick. I just had one that started acting funny. She was isolating herself from the flock and pacing one side of the pen. Still was eating and drinking. By the next day, she was just standing in the corner where she was pacing before. I separated her and she died overnight. I can only guess that the 4 new chicks that I introduced this spring may have had a strain that the others hadn't adapted to. I got them from the feed store at less than a week old and introduced them to the flock at 8 weeks but they did get some field trips out to different parts of the yard before moving to the pen. Also its been between hot and dry and humid, monsoon mud pit here.

My plan of attack is to give the flock a corid treatment followed by worming. Wazine17 first and then Safeguard for goats.
Yes, 20% amprolium powder. FWIW, most people on BYC treat for the severe outbreak. Curiously, have you seen a new post that said 1/2 teaspoon or was it an old one?

No need to do Wazine first, Safeguard will be just fine.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

My flock is just over a year old and this will be their first worming which is why I planned to start with Wazine just in case they have a heavy load. Since I started the Corid, egg production has dropped from around 12 a day from 16 layers to 8 a day from now 15 layers.

Back
Top Bottom