Peckin duck Leg Issue

Nenanicole

In the Brooder
May 15, 2024
Hi everyone! I got 5 peckin ducklings from TSC (I know this is not recommended) and everything has been great! They are 6 weeks old and fully white now! One of my ducklings had issues with its leg being turned in from the time we got them. She has always struggled walking because she steps on her opposite foot. This makes it pretty much impossible to walk for her ): I have been giving them all brewers yeast daily and niacin supplements in their water. They eat pellets specifically for ducklings and gets treats (peas) daily or every other day. At first, I thought she was just a clumsy baby and would eventually figure out how to walk but now I am worried this is a forever issue. Has anyone had this or have any recommendations on what to do?!
-Nena

Hi Nena, sorry to hear about your Pekin I wish you could have come earlier we would have rec you start your duckling on liquid BComplex it’s not too late but she may never get the leg where it should be but I would at least try to help her get it strengthened. Pekins are such fast growers their legs have a hard time keeping up and they can develop a niacin deficiency super fast.Here is great info along with dose and what is available https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ also pool time will help strengthen the legs . Your Pekin will need the full dose so don’t put it into water it dilutes it way too much over a tasty treat is the best way to give it. Please let us know how you Pekin is doing you may not see improvement for a few weeks because he has had this for sometime now so don’t give up and stop giving it

Hi Nena, sorry to hear about your Pekin I wish you could have come earlier we would have rec you start your duckling on liquid BComplex it’s not too late but she may never get the leg where it should be but I would at least try to help her get it strengthened. Pekins are such fast growers their legs have a hard time keeping up and they can develop a niacin deficiency super fast.Here is great info along with dose and what is available https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/ also pool time will help strengthen the legs . Your Pekin will need the full dose so don’t put it into water it dilutes it way too much over a tasty treat is the best way to give it. Please let us know how you Pekin is doing you may not see improvement for a few weeks because he has had this for sometime now so don’t give up and stop giving it
Thank you so very much Miss Lydia!!! I will order now and update you in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom