Please help - Trying to hatch my favorite, recently deceased hen’s last egg

pepchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
So, my most loving, hilarious, and sweet hen, Maisy, died this evening. She was young and healthy. From what I can tell, she either got hit by a car or was dragged by an animal not long before I found her and died of a heart attack in my arms. I am completely crushed.

Because she was a wonderful girl, she left me one last egg on my porch. There is a chance it was fertilized. I don’t have an incubator, but more importantly, I have no experience with hatching. Is there any way that someone in Massachusetts or New England would be willing to try to hatch Maisy’s egg? I would pay and would be so grateful for the chance.
IMG_3380.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 8
Research! Look on YouTube on how to hatch eggs in home made incubators! I recently hatched about 18 eggs in a homemade incubator made from a Styrofoam cooler from Walmart! (To be fair, I did end up getting an incubator off Amazon halfway through hatching because it was pretty difficult with the home made one.) I will say though if you are still planning to incubator this egg (Or have someone else incubator it.) that you do not hatch it alone. If you do end up hatching it alone, it could die from depression because they are such social animals. Put in at least three extra eggs in with it. Also, after seven days of not being incubated, fertilized eggs have a very small chance of developing. So you have that seven day time frame to game plan. So sorry about your loss and best wishes to you and your babies!

Do you have other hens that will brooder? How old is this egg? I have stored eggs round end up for 2 weeks rotating them a couple times and still hatched chicks. But chances get slimer the longer they sit. Make sure Maisys egg stays around about the same temperature as when you got it off the porch until you decide to incubate. Birds are very social creatures, but warmth, a stuffed animal, you cheaping (talking to them) and a mirror will make them less depressed and lonely. I would go to a farm store or order a next day delivery online for an incubator. If you let someone else hatch it and even if they mark your egg. If they have 20 chicks hatch at the same time, within hours. how will they know if it is truly yours. Rip sweet maisy

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to let her best friend, Polly (the silver leghorn), sit on a few eggs that I think are Maisy’s (the white leghorn). Polly is quietly recovering inside from some light wounds from the rooster anyway. Wish us luck 🩷
IMG_3198.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to let her best friend, Polly (the silver leghorn), sit on a few eggs that I think are Maisy’s (the white leghorn). Polly is quietly recovering inside from some light wounds from the rooster anyway. Wish us luck 🩷View attachment 3818211
so sorry for your loss.

Is Polly broody? if she isn't then she won't sit on the eggs for the 21 days that is needed. Not sure where you are in MA but I am also in MA so if you are near me I could incubate them for you.

so sorry for your loss.

Is Polly broody? if she isn't then she won't sit on the eggs for the 21 days that is needed. Not sure where you are in MA but I am also in MA so if you are near me I could incubate them for you.
She seems to sitting on them but she but I’ll need to make a game time decision tomorrow. I’m in the Merrimack Valley, you? Thank you for the offer so much!

Back
Top Bottom