Plotting a chick run. Can vaccinated and unvaccinated hatchery chicks be mixed?

Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
So I'm toying with the idea of doing a chick run. Sort of like a beer run, but with chicks. If I do this, I would hit up a bunch of feed stores over an approximately 2 week period and get a variety of chicks based on people's "wishlists." Then I could pass them along to people who want only certain numbers of certain breeds without having to get the minimum of 5 from every store that only has RIRs or leghorns.

There are a lot of urban chicken keepers around me that have limited space or HOAs that limit the number of birds they can have - so having a minimum of 5 or 6 chicks - which seems to be standard around here - can be challenging for folks who only have space for 3. I used to find myself in this same boat when I had a tiny coop, so I know how frustrating it can be. But now... chicken math... and BOOM I have a large coop now and am able to have ALL THE CHICKENS :celebrate

Anyway, some of the stores sell Mareks vaccinated chicks. Some do not. Some do not say (I guess it's a secret). Would there be any concern about mixing vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks? My own flock is mixed, so I think it's not an issue, but wanted to see what other people's thoughts were. I feel that since they're coming from a hatchery, they should be okay... but I don't know if that's logical thinking or not.

Are there any other health/safety issues or reasons this chick running scenario is not a good idea? I recognize that going to so many different places increases risk of exposure to diseases, but I know the biosecurity steps to follow to keep my own flock safe and would follow these same measures for the chicks. The chicks won't come into contact with my flock and pick ups will be off-property. I'm feeling like this could be a fun way to get to play with a bunch of baby chicks and then pass them off to other people before they get big and awkward and opinionated. Or... I will just end up with a ton of chickens myself. What harm could come from that?

Last edited:
So I'm toying with the idea of doing a chick run. Sort of like a beer run, but with chicks. If I do this, I would hit up a bunch of feed stores over an approximately 2 week period and get a variety of chicks based on people's "wishlists." Then I could pass them along to people who want only certain numbers of certain breeds without having to get the minimum of 5 from every store that only has RIRs or leghorns.

There are a lot of urban chicken keepers around me that have limited space or HOAs that limit the number of birds they can have - so having a minimum of 5 or 6 chicks - which seems to be standard around here - can be challenging for folks who only have space for 3. I used to find myself in this same boat when I had a tiny coop, so I know how frustrating it can be. But now... chicken math... and BOOM I have a large coop now and am able to have ALL THE CHICKENS :celebrate

Anyway, some of the stores sell Mareks vaccinated chicks. Some do not. Some do not say (I guess it's a secret). Would there be any concern about mixing vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks? My own flock is mixed, so I think it's not an issue, but wanted to see what other people's thoughts were. I feel that since they're coming from a hatchery, they should be okay... but I don't know if that's logical thinking or not.

Are there any other health/safety issues or reasons this chick running scenario is not a good idea? I recognize that going to so many different places increases risk of exposure to diseases, but I know the biosecurity steps to follow to keep my own flock safe and would follow these same measures for the chicks. The chicks won't come into contact with my flock and pick ups will be off-property. I'm feeling like this could be a fun way to get to play with a bunch of baby chicks and then pass them off to other people before they get big and awkward and opinionated. Or... I will just end up with a ton of chickens myself. What harm could come from that?
Vaccinated birds and unvaccinated birds can be put together, but you need to be aware that although the virus used for the vaccination will not cause disease in unvaccinated birds, the vaccine is “leaky,” which means unvaccinated birds CAN still get the chicken version of Marek's from infected birds. (Even if it’s unlikely.)

Vaccinated birds and unvaccinated birds can be put together, but you need to be aware that although the virus used for the vaccination will not cause disease in unvaccinated birds, the vaccine is “leaky,” which means unvaccinated birds CAN still get the chicken version of Marek's from infected birds. (Even if it’s unlikely.)
Thank you!

I think you meant to say that vaccinated birds can still catch Marek's from infected birds, correct?

The difference is, if they're vaccinated, they may not show symptoms or die from it. They could in turn give it to other birds and you wouldn't know because the vaccinated birds are not showing symptoms because they were vaccinated.

For the OP - For day old chicks that are handed off within a few days/weeks, if you practice good biosecurity and keep them away from your flock, I see low risk here.

I think you meant to say that vaccinated birds can still catch Marek's from infected birds, correct?

The difference is, if they're vaccinated, they may not show symptoms or die from it. They could in turn give it to other birds and you wouldn't know because the vaccinated birds are not showing symptoms because they were vaccinated.

For the OP - For day old chicks that are handed off within a few days/weeks, if you practice good biosecurity and keep them away from your flock, I see low risk here.
Yes, sorry I meant vaccinated

To make sure I understand- You’re saying that vaccinated birds have the potential to be asymptomatic carriers of Mareks.

The Marek's vaccination does not stop the bird from catching Marek's. The vaccination stops it from developing the tumors that cause the damage. The vaccination does not cause the bird to be a carrier.

If a vaccinated chicken is exposed to chicken Marek's it can catch Marek's. It can pass Marek's on to other birds. If a non-vaccinated chicken is exposed to chicken Marek's it can catch Marek's. It can pass Marek's on to other birds.

The only difference is that the vaccinated bird will not show the symptoms.

Can they get sick???
Of course they "can". A piece of space junk "can" fall out of the sky and hit your house. You "can" have an accident the next time you drive to the grocery store. It "can" rain today.

The question is "will" they get sick from Marek's. Nobody knows. If they are exposed to the Marek's virus they certainly can. Some chickens have a nature resistance to Marek's. When Marek's hits a flock it is fairly common for about half to not be affected. Sometimes the entire flock is affected, sometimes hardly any of them. There is luck involved, both in their resistance and which strain of Marek's it is.

It is also possible that your flock will never be exposed to the Marek's virus. When I was in Arkansas I spoke with a university poultry science professor that also served on the team that investigated chicken diseases in the region. He said that in the last two years only one case of Marek's had been reported in that county and it was not near me. I know, not every case is reported if it is a private backyard flock but some are. My flock never got it.

I don't know how prevalent Marek's is where you live. If you are in the USA you can chat with your county extension office and see if they can help you find the Marek's statistics for your area. That's what I did and instead of paying to get my first flock vaccinated I got five extra pullets.

Back
Top Bottom