Protein Powder?

Nyrial

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
So I have a bunch of unflavored protein powder that I bought for me, but I never use the stuff, and I hate the texture and flavor it adds (seriously, unflavored is still gross). Is it ok to mix a little in with my chicks treats? I've been giving them almost expired veggie baby food I had leftover from my youngest mixed with their starter feed. They go nuts for it, and everyone goes to sleep with huge crops. How often is it ok to feed veggies and fruits? I try to stay away from fruit and err more towards the vegetables because of the sugars in it..

I guess my main question is, are they going to get too spoiled if I feed them these things every day? Is it unhealthy? I feed my parrots fresh foods every day, so why not my chicks? Or am I using bad logic? And, is it ok to add the protein powder, or is too much of a good thing a bad thing?

I have read so much about what to feed a chick/chicken I still dont know really what is good or bad. Treats are suppose to be only 10 % of the chicken meal so the chickens can get enough vits/minerals. I on the other hand just found a great recipe on here for chicken muffins and am going to go out today to buy the ingredients and I will bake some for my chooks. Also I am going to make them a suet. Now you have given me an idea on feeding my chicks baby food. They will love that. My chickens look and feel healthy and I do know for sure all my chooks have smiles on their dials. I still feed them there regular food as well lol

You could always put the baby food in the muffins too.. Just an idea
smile.png
I don't know if the muffin recipe uses any fat or oil, but if you double the amount and use applesauce instead (this works for human recipes too!), it will turn out just as well.

Not as successful for cookies, but works well with cakes.

Back
Top Bottom