Pullet or cockerel

Osofarm11

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I got this chick at my local feed store and it’s supposed to be a female Cinnamon Queen but I’m having doubts. I think it might be a cockerel. Any thoughts?
Their about 2 months (8 weeks).

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0879.jpeg
    IMG_0879.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Age?

Not an expert, just guessing, and I don't know if there's anything coloring specific to take into account for the breed / mix, but I don't like how pink the wattles are. I'd put my money on cockerel.

Cinnamon Queens are sex linked. As chicks the females should be a bit darker and the males will be lighter whiter colored.

So your should be a pullet.

How old?

:welcome

Could you show more of the rest of it's body and not just the front? I'm seeing a lot of red there, which is making me think pullet. How old is it? Going off it's feather growth, I'm assuming it's 5-6 weeks old? At that age, for the comb size, it's still looking like a pullet.

Some Red Sex Links (RSL) pullets, which is what a Cinnamon Queen is, will have more white on them than expected. As they age out, they'll develop more red, but I've seen some that their back half was almost all white, so a lot of white, even on a pullet, isn't always out of the ordinary. For cockerels, they're typically all white and sometimes will have a little red, which may show up across the shoulders.

Age?

Not an expert, just guessing, and I don't know if there's anything coloring specific to take into account for the breed / mix, but I don't like how pink the wattles are. I'd put my money on cockerel.
Their about 2 months, I was leading to cockerel as well.

:welcome

Could you show more of the rest of it's body and not just the front? I'm seeing a lot of red there, which is making me think pullet. How old is it? Going off it's feather growth, I'm assuming it's 5-6 weeks old? At that age, for the comb size, it's still looking like a pullet.

Some Red Sex Links (RSL) pullets, which is what a Cinnamon Queen is, will have more white on them than expected. As they age out, they'll develop more red, but I've seen some that their back half was almost all white, so a lot of white, even on a pullet, isn't always out of the ordinary. For cockerels, they're typically all white and sometimes will have a little red, which may show up across the shoulders.
Here’s some side pictures of the chick

Attachments

• IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    678.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom