Pullet sitting in nest without laying an egg in 3 days

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
One of my 7 month old BO pullets has been laying, consistently since early August. I've noticed, the last three days, she's sitting in a nest box for about an hour a day, without laying an egg. She's not egg bound and has no symptoms to worry about. Just curious what she's doing? I have a nest camera, so I know it not being laid and eaten. Any thoughts. :idunno

One of my 7 month old BO pullets has been laying, consistently since early August. I've noticed, the last three days, she's sitting in a nest box for about an hour a day, without laying an egg. She's not egg bound and has no symptoms to worry about. Just curious what she's doing? I have a nest camera, so I know it not being laid and eaten. Any thoughts. :idunno
She may be broody. Brooding means that she wants to hatch out the eggs and raise them. If you don't want that to happen you'll have to separate her from the flock for a week

She may be broody. Brooding means that she wants to hatch out the eggs and raise them. If you don't want that to happen you'll have to separate her from the flock for a week
We've got a broody busting dog kennel that we've always used for the older hens. The thought crossed my mind, but I've never had one go broody without sitting all day. It's the 1 hour thing that I found odd.

We've got a broody busting dog kennel that we've always used for the older hens. The thought crossed my mind, but I've never had one go broody without sitting all day. It's the 1 hour thing that I found odd.
Maybe wait it out maybe she's starting to mature

I don't think she's broody....she may have stopped laying due to short days, but is still going thru the motions.
As long as she eating/drinking/pooping/roosting at night and moving around OK,
I'd not worry.

Back
Top Bottom