Questions about transporting and acclimatising my new coturnix quail flock

QuailTail

Songster
Aug 21, 2021
NSW Mid North Coast, Australia
Good morning, afternoon and evening everyone.

This weekend I am finally going to pick up my first little flock of 10 coturnix quail - all laying age hens. They're going into a brand new aviary and I have no other quail, so it will be all theirs.

I have a couple of questions about how best to a) get them home safely, and b) introduce them to their new home.

Firstly, what's the best way to transport them to cause them the least stress (I was planning to use a cat carrier with a towel on the bottom inside, and probably also cover the carrier with a blanket to keep it dark)? The journey will be around an hour by car.

Will they be okay with that trip without water? We'll be going straight home, so no stopping on the way or anything.

And once we're home, do I just open the carrier door and let them wander out, and take the carrier away? Should I leave the carrier for a while to help them feel safe? Should I stay in with them or leave them be for a while?

Their aviary has 3 short hollow logs and some small plants, I think there should be enough for them if they want hidey holes. And I will have their food and water waiting.

Any suggestions on how to make them feel at home would be great :)

Thanks in advance!

Firstly, what's the best way to transport them to cause them the least stress (I was planning to use a cat carrier with a towel on the bottom inside, and probably also cover the carrier with a blanket to keep it dark)? The journey will be around an hour by car.
Sounds good, thats what I would do
Will they be okay with that trip without water? We'll be going straight home, so no stopping on the way or anything.
They won’t need water
And once we're home, do I just open the carrier door and let them wander out, and take the carrier away? Should I leave the carrier for a while to help them feel safe? Should I stay in with them or leave them be for a while?
If you can I would leave the carrier in with the door open, leave them to settle in
Their aviary has 3 short hollow logs and some small plants, I think there should be enough for them if they want hidey holes. And I will have their food and water waiting.

Any suggestions on how to make them feel at home would be great :)

Thanks in advance!
good luck with your quail!

This is similar to what I did but the towel on the bottom of the carrier is a good idea (or you could use chippings) because without something like that, mine slid about and that panicked them even more. They also pooed a lot during the journey which made it even more slippy! When I got them home, I opened the door and they came out in their own time. Good luck!

Sounds good, thats what I would do

They won’t need water

If you can I would leave the carrier in with the door open, leave them to settle in

good luck with your quail!
Ok great, thank you! Leaving them be will be the hardest part :p I'll be on the outside of the mesh with my face pressed up against it breathing heavily and watching their every move :lau

This is similar to what I did but the towel on the bottom of the carrier is a good idea (or you could use chippings) because without something like that, mine slid about and that panicked them even more. They also pooed a lot during the journey which made it even more slippy! When I got them home, I opened the door and they came out in their own time. Good luck!
Yeah I figured there would be lots of in-transit pooing! 🤣 Maybe stress poos? I have sugarcane mulch, which is more like straw bedding, but no wood chips..

Back
Top Bottom