Redness and bumps near vent

Pepperfuse

Hatching
Jul 22, 2023
We treated our rooster for mites a few months ago when we noticed he started limping. We kept an eye on him to make sure all the mites were gone. He kept taking turns on each leg, skin and comb looked healthy and he still seemed strong so we hoped he would improve. Unfortunately he didn't improve. Today he could hardly walk, I took a much closer look to apply arnica on his legs and noticed all the redness.
My guess is that it may be irritation from being on the ground. Poop wasn't caked on, just a few little pieces.
He is separated, with soaked feed (he ate), added flakes pepper in case it's worms, probiotics, vet Rx, and antiseptic to the area.

Has anyone experienced this and has your rooster recovered? It seems like when a hen starts limping it's a death sentence. This rooster is so sweet and I'm just hoping there's anything I can do that I may be missing to help him.

The hens were ready to dispatch him and I got him just in time before he got any injuries. So sad to loose him 😭.
IMG_20230722_105154_040.jpg

His left hock looks swollen in your picture, is it hot to the touch?
Redness around the vent area in a virile male is rather normal and mostly caused by hormones, but having the entire abdomen fire red is something else.
What did you use on him to treat the parasites?

We used Elector PSP. We were very careful to only apply a very small diluted amount. I think it was 3 mil per gallon. We did spray near the vent though 😬

His left hock looks swollen in your picture, is it hot to the touch?
Redness around the vent area in a virile male is rather normal and mostly caused by hormones, but having the entire abdomen fire red is something else.
What did you use on him to treat the parasite
The hook was not warm to the touch. It seems like it has always been that way. We actually didn't realize he was a rooster until he was fully matured.

Back
Top Bottom