Respiratory Infection?

Chichin Mama

Making lemonade 🍋🐣
Premium Feather Member
Jun 13, 2022
Battle Creek, Mi
I have a Mille Fleur d'Uccle hen who is a year old that is acting sick.

She is sneezing, keeps closing her eyes, one eye is watery, and she keeps wiggling her neck weird (to me it almost looks like she is adjusting her crop or wry neck, she closes her eyes and stretches her neck out.)

 Her depth perception is off. For instance, if I hold out a leaf for her, she will try to pick it, but it's almost like she can't see it well, or her depth perception is off and she will keep missing the leaf with her beak.

She holds her beak open. She will walk around with her beak slightly open. Not sure if she is open mouth breathing, or just can't shut her mouth all the way. I looked closely at her beak and I can't see any obstructions.

She is scratching her face a lot. Her nose doesn't seem runny. I checked her ears and they look fine. The only thing that looks funky on her face is her eyes.

She is still laying eggs. She has less energy than usual.

So, with all that being said, I am at a loss as to what is making her sick. Here are a couple things I wonder if it could be. Respiratory infection? Ocular Mareks? A crop problem? A neurological problem? Wry neck?

I am open to any thoughts or ideas as to what it could be! I am very worried about her as she is not her usual perky self and is obviously not feeling good. I'm hoping someone on here can help me figure out what this is and how I can help her. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20240430_213139.jpg
IMG_20240430_213145.jpg
IMG_20240430_213133.jpg

I am currently giving her Chinese skullap and Poultry cell. She doesn't want to eat and she is pooping very tiny amounts because of the fact she isn't eating. I separated her from the rest of the flock as the rooster was bothering her.

She may have a respiratory infection such as MG or infectious bronchitis. MG can cause bubbly eye, conjunctivitis, sneezing, and head shaking to clear mucus from the airways. You can flush her eyes with saline or eye wash and put a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin 2-3 times a day. That may relieve the itching. Clean off any crusty drainage. If you have or can get Tylosin powder or Denagard, you could treat her for MG. If it is infectious bronchitis, that is a virus, and it lasts about 3-4 weeks. The Tylosin would not hurt if it is that. Encourage her to eat and drink, and tempt with some scrambled egg, tuna or cat food in small bits. Chicken feed is best and you can wet some. Her watery eye may make it hard to see. One eye is for short distance and the other is for long distance.

She may have a respiratory infection such as MG or infectious bronchitis. MG can cause bubbly eye, conjunctivitis, sneezing, and head shaking to clear mucus from the airways. You can flush her eyes with saline or eye wash and put a small dab of either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin 2-3 times a day. That may relieve the itching. Clean off any crusty drainage. If you have or can get Tylosin powder or Denagard, you could treat her for MG. If it is infectious bronchitis, that is a virus, and it lasts about 3-4 weeks. The Tylosin would not hurt if it is that. Encourage her to eat and drink, and tempt with some scrambled egg, tuna or cat food in small bits. Chicken feed is best and you can wet some. Her watery eye may make it hard to see. One eye is for short distance and the other is for long distance.
Thank you so much for your response! I will flush her eyes with saline and put Terramycin on them. I will try and find some Tylosin too. Would a respiratory infection cause her to stretch her neck out weird, too? Thank you for your help!

She's hanging in there. She is still eating thankfully. Her eyes don't seem to be getting any worse (no crusting or a lot of bubbles), although she still struggles with depth perception. She is really struggling with her crop. Adjusting it frequently and sticking her neck out at an odd angle. She seems very weak and sleeps a lot. She isn't laying eggs any more. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be struggling with breathing, she just keeps her eyes closed and is stretching her neck out funky.

Back
Top Bottom