Roosters

We had 2 cockerels in our flock, raised and kept together from day 1. Everything seemed fine. Then at 4 1/2 months of age they decided to duke it out to see who would rule the flock. Our Golden Campine cockerel got the worst of it and was pretty bloody. But our Single Comb Brown Leghorn cockerel was injured too.

After that, we kept them separated when locked up for the night, but they were both allowed to free-range with the girls during the day. A few months back, we found a new farm for our SCBL cockerel, where he is the only male for 15 girls. Our GC cockerel is happier, but I'm sure the girls would be happier without any boys around.
wink.png

I think once the pullets get to laying age, the boys may spar to see who rules the flock.

Good luck!

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos...

Last edited:
Darn. I was hoping that without hens, they wouldn't have much reason to fight to that extent. Thanks for the info.

Well, we let our birds forage the farm together. We have 2 fenced acres, not a fenced run. So the boys were together at night but out and about with the ladies all day.

I don't know, but maybe if they had separate runs, you'd have better luck.

-keljonma

I think I'm going to try separate runs. I have an older (rescue) Polish roo, and 2 cockerals-RIR and Leghorn. I really want to keep all of them. I'll keep the Polish and his lady together in a separate run, and I guess the other two will have to duke it out to see who's gonna be the boss. Hopefully, they'll figure it out and I won't have to have 3 separate runs...

Well, I hope you never need this information........but I found that

Tea tree oil dropped on any wounds helps disinfect and feathers grow back well. You can't even see where our Golden Campine was injured when you look at his skin.

-keljonma

Back
Top Bottom