Runner duck egg question

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
I have three runner ducks that started laying in late January. I get three eggs pretty reliably each day. Today I got three, good shells as always. I went to put them in their house tonight and as I was walking out of the pen I spotted a soft shell egg. I know this happens and can be considered fairly normal in young layers but it’s a first for the ducks. They get a mix of Mazuri waterfowl maintenance and Mazuri waterfowl layer feed and always have oyster shell available. Treats include peas and dried mealworms, romaine, and other fruits and veg. I don’t know which lady left that egg. Any suggestions- just keep an eye on them, or supplement calcium for all of them? I can up the layer feed in their daily allotment but the eggs have all had great shells until this one rando. Thanks!

It can happen and not to worry unless you keep seeing them. If you haven't I'd put out some Oyster shells . I had a soft shell this morning in the coop. Keep some calcium gluconate on hand it's so good in case one having a difficult time laying. Just keep an eye on things for now but I don't think you need to worry.

Thank you! They do have oyster shell handy and they do consume it. I may up the layer feed ratio a bit too for the summer. Question on the calcium gluconate - I have some in my first aid supplies but haven’t administered any yet. Is the purpose of it to help harden a soft shell egg in order to help it pass safely? The other eggs have all been great so I want to understand what the CG does. If I don’t know which duck laid it, and if it happens again, is it safe to put it in feed and they all consume it? Thanks again!

We use it mainly to treat if one of our girls is having a hard time laying an egg it helps with contractions to get the egg moving. It can be used to help with laying soft shells also. But the main reason is to help get the egg moving and laid. I have only given it by mouth to one that needs the help. You could try mixing it in their feed but you have no way of knowing who is getting how much, It's really better to give it by mouth. And I wouldn't put it in water either it dilutes it down too much plus ducks waste so much of their water.
Here is info https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...bound-ducks-preliminary.959537/#post-14940303

If you decide you want to give it to one or all your girls we also have info on how to give liquid meds by mouth.

Last edited:
I know some members will use calcium citrate for extra calcium. @DuckyDonna was putting it over the oyster shells for extra calcium for her girls.
@DuckyDonna can you share what product you use and how much? I wouldn't mind supplementing for all three like this. I have the calcium gluconate for a more emergent situation, but I'd like to try to avoid that. If there is a form of calcium citrate that can be put in their oyster shell that would be great.

If you can share the pill/tablet type you have used orally that would be helpful too, as I have read a lot of posts about it and would like to have it on hand. I don't want to get some enormous pill that can't be easily given!

@DuckyDonna can you share what product you use and how much? I wouldn't mind supplementing for all three like this. I have the calcium gluconate for a more emergent situation, but I'd like to try to avoid that. If there is a form of calcium citrate that can be put in their oyster shell that would be great.

If you can share the pill/tablet type you have used orally that would be helpful too, as I have read a lot of posts about it and would like to have it on hand. I don't want to get some enormous pill that can't be easily given!
I buy (on amazon) powdered calcium citrate and sprinkle it over their food every morning. You can get the pills at Walmart but they are a pain to crush. I do not put it on the oyster shells. I still get a few soft-shell eggs but I think it's helping.

Thanks - do you get something like these? With D3, or just unflavored calcium citrate?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.25.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.25.15 AM.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.25.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.25.43 AM.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom