Should I get a rooster?

z3lda3

Chirping
Mar 24, 2024
Hi! I’ve got 4 female red sex links, almost 4 weeks old. Atm they’re still in a brooder but I take them outside weather permitting. I’ve got a coop and covered run (doing my best making it predator proof). Once they’re hens and outside full time I worry for their safety. I have a huge hawk that makes an appearance from time to time. Would a rooster help deter the hawk, or protect the hens? Or are roosters just for a show piece and breeding? I heard roosters can be a-holes toward hens, anybody know if that’s true?

Sigh well shoot, I don’t the rooster to be killed! I dislike the thought of having the hens in a run all the time, especially since I have fenced in property. But I hate the thought of a hawk killing one. Thanks for the info!

If you want help on how to predator proof your run pics will be needed.

Hawks are fast and difficult to stop even if you're in the yard with the chickens.
A rooster would not guarantee their safety. They also have a fight or flight instinct so most will flee while sounding the alarm for the hens to also take cover.

I’ve also got at least 12-13 crows that hang around. I heard crows were territorial and would deter hawks. Do you know if there’s any truth to that? (Please don’t tell me crows attack chickens)

Crows do help but they aren't perfect either. They are more territorial during nesting season than in the fall. They also aren't there 100% of the time.

Crows don't seek out chickens as prey. They may take young chicks but in my experience they are not interested in adults.
Thank you for the information! I guess the best thing is to make a bigger run (covered of course). And at least the crows aren’t a threat! Seems like everything else is. It’s worrisome.

Hawks were problematic here in just sitting on the power pole staring at my hens. My hens were very stressed by it so we put a solid metal roof on the run. Not a small task at 16x26.

We also have crows around and as long as the hawk was on that pole and not in the trees they didn't go after it.

Chickens are delicious according to just about every predator on land or in the sky.

One year I had to repeatedly step between an American Kestrel and my only white hen.

Yes a tiny Kestrel determined to try for chicken dinner.

Screenshot_20240404-180707_kindlephoto-1605540761.png

Hawks were problematic here in just sitting on the power pole staring at my hens. My hens were very stressed by it so we put a solid metal roof on the run. Not a small task at 16x26.

We also have crows around and as long as the hawk was on that pole and not in the trees they didn't go after it.

Chickens are delicious according to just about every predator on land or in the sky.

One year I had to repeatedly step between an American Kestrel and my only white hen.

Yes a tiny Kestrel determined to try for chicken dinner.

View attachment 3791837
Wait what??? That little thing? Oh jeez do I have to worry about cardinals or blue jays? I have hummingbirds too are they a threat?! Seriously between the raccoons and coyotes and hawks and disease, I’m going to have an aneurysm.

Wait what??? That little thing? Oh jeez do I have to worry about cardinals or blue jays? I have hummingbirds too are they a threat?! Seriously between the raccoons and coyotes and hawks and disease, I’m going to have an aneurysm.

Yes that tiny beautiful raptor was being very determined in its attempts. I think it may have been young or had eyes bigger than its beak.

I would be more worried about the coyotes, coons and hawks. The wild small birds are more likely to bring mites and lice.

Yup there's worries but they can all be overcome. Chickens and those wonderful eggs are well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom