Sick Pet Goose, do I need a vet?

mkuvak

Hatching
Oct 12, 2021
My white chinese goose has been sick for nearly a week, right after she started laying. She has some kind of egg sack-looking growth on her abdomen, but i’ve read that it’s normal. My goose is very loud, social, and an eating machine, but now that she’s sick, she barely eats, barely talks, and just sits in her pool or sleeps all day. Preceding this, she picked up the habit of eating dirt, potting soil, and rocks, which we originally thought was normal after reading other forums, but now we’re thinking her illness might be due to this.

Some geese breeds have "lobes", typically one or two, that hang down from their abdomen. In Chinese geese, a single lobe may appear during laying season (and is normal). Is this what you're seeing? A photo would help to confirm.

My geese like to eat dirt, too, and I suspect that there may be some mineral(s) in it that they either like or need. They also need grit to digest their food, so will eat small rocks. Mine will pick up - and play with - rocks and other items like sticks that are too large to eat.

Has your goose lost weight or shown any other symptoms besides the ones you mentioned? Is her poop normal? What does she eat? Are her eggs normal?

My white chinese goose has been sick for nearly a week, right after she started laying. She has some kind of egg sack-looking growth on her abdomen, but i’ve read that it’s normal. My goose is very loud, social, and an eating machine, but now that she’s sick, she barely eats, barely talks, and just sits in her pool or sleeps all day. Preceding this, she picked up the habit of eating dirt, potting soil, and rocks, which we originally thought was normal after reading other forums, but now we’re thinking her illness might be due to this.
What feed is she on?
Does she have a calcium supplement like oyster shell?
Have you seen any kind or discharge coming out of her, particularly yellow?

Excessively eating dirt “pica” could be due to a nutrient deficiency or some sort of irritation in her digestive tract like an infection, blockage, or parasites. Sometimes they’ll eat dirt when they need more calcium in laying season, and eating dirt makes it more likely to pick up parasites.

My concern is that she could have a lash egg, broken an egg internally, or have some other reproductive issue considering she just started laying.
Issues like these are incredibly serious and without the proper diagnosis and treatment the chances of recovery unfortunatly are very poor. If it’s possible to get her seen by a vet I would strongly suggest it.
In the mean time if you have any broad spectrum antibiotics like cipro, baytril, amoxicillin, or azithromycin I would start giving it to her.

Some geese breeds have "lobes", typically one or two, that hang down from their abdomen. In Chinese geese, a single lobe may appear during laying season (and is normal). Is this what you're seeing? A photo would help to confirm.

My geese like to eat dirt, too, and I suspect that there may be some mineral(s) in it that they either like or need. They also need grit to digest their food, so will eat small rocks. Mine will pick up - and play with - rocks and other items like sticks that are too large to eat.

Has your goose lost weight or shown any other symptoms besides the ones you mentioned? Is her poop normal? What does she eat? Are her eggs normal?
she has lost weight since she barely eats now. her poop is either clear (similar to water since she’s only drinking, eating soil, and barely any greens nowadays), or dark alike the soil. her eggs are normal as well.

she has lost weight since she barely eats now. her poop is either clear (similar to water since she’s only drinking, eating soil, and barely any greens nowadays), or dark alike the soil. her eggs are normal as well.
Based on what you described, a vet visit sounds like the best option. I hope she's on the mend soon.

Back
Top Bottom