Spotted on Reddit and Need Identification

DuckDuckJuice

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
Ohio
Someone posted the picture below on Reddit, asking if they should try to catch the Pekin in the photo, as it is clearly not going to fare well in the wild. The obviously answer is yes, but I’m questioning the drake in the background. If the white one is truly a Pekin, that would make the other one an absurdly large mallard (granted, it isn’t easy to tell based on the perspective of the picture). I’m wondering if it could actually be a Rouen and if someone dumped multiple ducks in that area? I’m not overly familiar with Mallards or Rouens, so I thought I’d ask here. Like I said, the size of the bird is throwing me off. We have a couple mallards that visit our ducks occasionally and they’re about half the size, at most, of our Pekin girl.

Attachments

• 6B20DC30-0483-4C81-9810-15BA6FAA474B.png
    6B20DC30-0483-4C81-9810-15BA6FAA474B.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
Someone posted the picture below on Reddit, asking if they should try to catch the Pekin in the photo, as it is clearly not going to fare well in the wild. The obviously answer is yes, but I’m questioning the drake in the background. If the white one is truly a Pekin, that would make the other one an absurdly large mallard (granted, it isn’t easy to tell based on the perspective of the picture). I’m wondering if it could actually be a Rouen and if someone dumped multiple ducks in that area? I’m not overly familiar with Mallards or Rouens, so I thought I’d ask here. Like I said, the size of the bird is throwing me off. We have a couple mallards that visit our ducks occasionally and they’re about half the size, at most, of our Pekin girl.
I don't know why but the pekin looks a little like a white hookbill to me!🤣🤣🤣🤣

My domestic Mallard was able to fly, but not like a wild duck. So yes, I would suggest that both be captured. They'd probably do better with a familiar friend then all alone anyway
Agreed. The person who posted it says they’ll go back tomorrow and try to catch them. I’m so grateful I haven’t seen any dumped ducks in my area. I’ll never understand why people think it’s okay to do that.

Woah! If that is a pekin, then that is a big mallard! But like other people said only domestic mallards get that big and I agree with them.
Agreed. The person who posted it says they’ll go back tomorrow and try to catch them. I’m so grateful I haven’t seen any dumped ducks in my area. I’ll never understand why people think it’s okay to do that.
There is a big pond at a park nearby where I live, and I've seen pekins, cayugas, buffs, a few runners, and even some geese! Why do people do this!? It makes me mad. 😡

Again, guess I'll go against the crowd here. Why capture them if they don't want to be captured? If they come to you, sure take them in. If not? Leave em be. That area looks like a quite inviting habitat for ducks, lots of natural cover to hide from predators and I'm sure it's filled with nymphs/ other bugs for them to eat. Maybe they'll survive for quite a while. Maybe they won't 🤷 none of us can tell that from a picture.

Back
Top Bottom