The layer mash and medicated starter debate

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
I have a 3 week old problem. I have 3 and 2 week old chicks (11 of them) living with 6 hens in production, 2 mama hens and one roo. I have posted about this before but still I don't know what to do. I have been advised to separate them, but I can't. It is not practical with where I live and the hours I work.
I put down the layers mash and everyone dives in. I put down the medicated starter and mostly everyone dives in. (just a couple layers like the starter actually)
Right now, what I try to do is when I see a bunch of chicks in one spot I dash over with the bag of starter. I am ensuring they always get some starter daily. When i put out the layer mash, I am trying to shoo the chicks away. Ahhh. I feel like a bad chicken mom.
Could I feed everyone grower for a few weeks? With oyster shell on the side?

You could offer grower with some oyster shell on the side. There's also feed available called flock raiser that everyone could eat and then you'd still need to offer oyster shell.
Have you tried creating a "creeper feeder"? Basically a sturdy box with a hole big enough for the chicks to get in to eat, but not big enough for the grown chickens to reach into?

So long as you offer oyster shell you can feed them all flock raiser, unmedicated starter, grower, game bird feed (so long as it's not the real high protein stuff)... there's plenty of things they can all eat. It won't harm the hens any so long as they have oyster shell to make up for the missing calcium in those other feeds. Since there is no unmedicated starter or grower here I end up feeding all mine 22% protein game bird feed.

Quote:
This solves your problem.
thumbsup.gif

I've heard the real problem is the young birds eating the adult feed, not vice versa. The layers' feed has too much calcium and other minerals for the young birds and it can cause organ damage, particularly to their kidneys. But if you offer calcium supplements separately, the chicks supposeldy won't eat it.

I solved the "what to feed" problem several years ago after visiting one of the best Black Rosecomb breeders in the country. All of his birds were in beautiful condition & I asked him what he fed.
He told me he only used one feed, a high protein game bird grower. Said he fed that to chicks & adult birds alike.
I switched to this method & it has worked out very well. The birds grow well, feather quickly & stay in good condition longer. Feather quality is improved & they lay & hatch well on this feed.
I am using a 22% protein Blue Seal product called Chick n Game Bird Starter Grower. I suspect other manufacturers make similar products.
A bonus is that when I'm away at a show for the weekend I don't have to give my wife a list of who gets fed what-there's only one feed. Really simplifies things. Don't have to decide when to switch feed. Don't have to decide if I should buy another bag of Starter of switch to Grower-no decisions to make.
Works real well for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Purina makes Flock Raiser, though I'm fairly sure there are other brands that make a similar product.
NYREDS also gives good advice.

Quote:
A rabbit supply house has creep feeders made out of the metal other feeders are made from. smaller holes so the babies can eat. But i have to say I would go with the flock raiser w oyster shell. Just makes life easier. for now mix the 2 together.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom