Over the weekend i was busy getting the roses back under control

Our big rose bushes were all over the place since the heavy storms last year which broke the wooden fence they were leaning on. So I cut them down to 1 m and they did not hate it, it was successfully taken as a challenge.

We also have some extra robust rugosa cultivars and those were already in flower in mid-April which was a nice surprise (pictured: Hansa) -

photo_2024-05-01_09-04-08.jpg

Our big rose bushes were all over the place since the heavy storms last year which broke the wooden fence they were leaning on. So I cut them down to 1 m and they did not hate it, it was successfully taken as a challenge.

We also have some extra robust rugosa cultivars and those were already in flower in mid-April which was a nice surprise (pictured: Hansa) -

View attachment 3817455
Beautiful!!!!

Things that the 2 little ducklings figured out today:

- you can drink from the waterfall when somebody's pouring water into the waterer

- if you wiggle your bottom to get positioned like a cat you can then attempt to jump out of the box

- it's possible to snatch a slow moving mosquito
Yes, ducklings are very quick learners. Next on the list:
  • Make humon feed us treats by peeping loud and looking cuuuute!
  • Distract humon by pooping in an inappropriate spot, then raid the treats container.

View attachment 3817455
Those are wild roses? - At least they look like what is here considered "wild". They grow here everywhere and are considered invasive. Even the dux hate them because their feathers get stuck in those tiny pricks. I had to free a duck on more than one occasion…

Those are wild roses? - At least they look like what is here considered "wild". They grow here everywhere and are considered invasive. Even the dux hate them because their feathers get stuck in those tiny pricks. I had to free a duck on more than one occasion…
They are rosa rugosa, "potato rose", cultivated varieties of wild roses. Yes, many nasty little pricks.

The more tame cultivars of roses, various climbers and bush roses (mostly from the breeder Kordes in Germany because of their focus on disease resistance) are only just beginning to flower.

They are rosa rugosa, "potato rose", cultivated varieties of wild roses. Yes, many nasty little pricks.

The more tame cultivars of roses, various climbers and bush roses (mostly from the breeder Kordes in Germany because of their focus on disease resistance) are only just beginning to flower.
I just bought some "roses with red flowers" from the local supermarket and planted them in 2018. Now they are getting out of control…

More special effect of this year's spring weather - the first blackberries are already in flower (Navaho big&early, yes they are early and tasty but not that big).

The mulberries which are usually very sensitive to frost are not only mostly unbothered by -2 C that we had a week ago but also full of fruit, with the japanese mulberry (morus bombycis, https://doctorschar.com/japanese-mulberry-morus-bomcycis/ ) fruit already coloring up. And it's only May 2nd! Almost like in a mediterranean climate.

And now the obligatory duckling video :) They are a week old now. When they are being filmed they know it and they refuse to move. When the phone is away they get the zoomies.

Back
Top Bottom